Natalie's Reviews > The Mind-Body Problem

The Mind-Body Problem by Rebecca Goldstein

bookshelves: artsandcrafts

surprisingly disenchanting at first then the structure of it simply won me over.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Mind-Body Problem.

May 20, 2011 – Shelved
August 10, 2011 – Started Reading
August 10, 2011 –
page 69
23.96% "The genius in love 'exerts himself in non-mathematical matters' - a ripe plot to hang the ideas explored by this story from?"
August 11, 2011 –
100.0% "I wanted to be both entertained and instructed by this, and instead began to feel tricked until finally I was relieved having found it a better structured and more enlightening read than my initial reactions had led me to believe was possible with these characters and their circumstances - actually does illustrate and explicate the mind body problem fairly well . . ."
August 16, 2011 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)

Magdelanye Quite aggree with your assessment Natalie, it was worth struggling with the beginning to get to that place of marvelous.

Natalie It was funny and poignant how the mind/body problem at one point is reduced to Himmel's discovery that aging is an inevitable part of the body and therefore his own mind too?

That other part where the protagonist goes to the skin care clinic is marvelous too . . . her realization that aging is constantly relative when the attendants call her skin old (at 25!), and better yet her self-assessment in front of the mirror where she realizes that a very abstract force (gravity) is acting on her body 24/7 whether it can be described in abstract terms or not it is having very real world effects ;)

Magdelanye wrote: "Quite aggree with your assessment Natalie, it was worth struggling with the beginning to get to that place of marvelous."

Lisa Read this as a freshman in college at the suggestion of a good friend. It was the perfect time to read it.

Natalie This was NOT the perfect time to read about a may/december college romance for me, as I read Iodine: A Novel fairly recently which is a very dark look at a student/prof marriage in academia, then quite recently read Hillsdale: Greek Tragedy in America's Heartland which is the story of circumstances surrounding the death of Lissa Roche a right wing college president's daughter-in-law who claimed that she'd been sleeping with her father in law for over a decade just before she was found dead on campus(treated as a suicide).

You can read about that in Salon.com's Sex, Lies, and Suicide article

But I WILL be reading more Goldstein! Next on my Goldstein list is: The Dark Sister!

Lisa wrote: "Read this as a freshman in college at the suggestion of a good friend. It was the perfect time to read it."