Douglas Sherk's Reviews > Thinking, Fast and Slow

Thinking, Fast and Slow by Daniel Kahneman

Apr 21, 2017

Read 2 times. Last read February 15, 2017 to April 22, 2017.

This is one of the best books I've ever read. It goes into great depth on many of the cognitive biases that we face when making both minor and important decisions in our lives. It's replete with examples, and spares no effort to make sure that you've wrapped your head completely around the concepts.

At its core, this book will teach you when you can and can't trust your intuition. It examines this from the perspective of two "systems" that coexist within the brain, but serve entirely different purposes. It expounds on when we use each one, why, and each of their failings.

For such a high level book, I've found it very actionable. I'm watching my thought processes more. I'm steering myself away from snap judgments when I know that there's no supporting evidence for the conclusion that I arrived at. I'm learning to ask the right questions of myself when making estimates and associating concepts.

The author has done decades of research on this topic. He won the Nobel Prize for it too -- in economics, despite him being a psychologist and having never taking any economics courses. Even more surprisingly, the book includes several fairly scathing critiques of mainstream macroeconomics.

I think that anyone who does knowledge work can strongly benefit from reading this. I might even read it a second time in the future.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Thinking, Fast and Slow.

Finished Reading