Rikki's Reviews > The Hog's Back Mystery

The Hog's Back Mystery by Freeman Wills Crofts

Jul 14, 2016

liked it
bookshelves: blcc, fiction, mystery

I keep saying the same thing. All the mysteries of the British Library Crime Classics I have read so far have this cozy setting, lovely landscape, typical country people and all that stuff. Absolutely entertaining, if you love that kind of thing.

The Hog's Back Mystery is no exception, but I found the solution to the mystery slightly annyoing, as it was too complicated for my taste. If a mystery plot relies too much on minutes in the timeline I am not buying it anymore. This solution so much depended on exact timing of a couple of people that it was just not realistic any longer. And to be honest, with all the different locations and various murders I completely lost track of who did what regarding which crime.

A nice touch was that when the solution was presented the clues that were given were referenced with page numbers so the reader could actually go back to the exact spot in the book where it was mentioned or revealed. However, reading the story on a Kindle made this bonus pointless as I cannot go back to page 78 - bummer!

All in all, good as far as ambience was concerned, but plot wise I was slightly disappointed. There is a second book by the same author on that list which I will definitely check out to see if it has the same kind of complicated vibe.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Hog's Back Mystery.

July 14, 2016 – Started Reading