Whatchyareading's Reviews > Tattoo

Tattoo by Jennifer Lynn Barnes

May 20, 2011

bookshelves: christine, fantasy, series, young-adult

Tattoo is the first of a two-part story. It introduces four friends, Bailey (the main character), Delia, Annabelle, and Zo. Bailey narrates the story, for the most part, and we read the majority of the plot through her voice. Delia is a “fashion goddess,” flirty and a cheerleader. Annabelle is the quiet one of the group, practical and smart. Zo is a tomboy and Bailey’s “other half.”

One day at the mall, Bailey buys a set of 4 temporary tattoos (there’s more to the story than that, but this is the extremely summarized version) and the four friends pick a tattoo and then apply it somewhere on them. Almost instantly Bailey can tell there’s something strange about these tattoos because she passes out after applying it and then hears a strange voice reciting what sounded like a prophecy. (She would have done well in Divination at Hogwarts).

Anyway, long story short, the tattoos equal supernatural powers. Where these powers come from and why they were given to Bailey and her friends, you’ll have to find out for yourself. Let me say, though, that I wasn’t expecting the source of the power to be what it was.

One really cute thing I need to point out about Bailey is her crush on major eye candy guy, Kane. So, during one interaction with Kane, Bailey actually counts the number of words he says to her. She counts them! I couldn’t get over that. It’s so adorable. I don’t remember ever being that young, do you?

Overall, this book was cute and fun, and probably better appreciated by younger teens since the girls are 15 years old. It was a fast read that left me wanting to know what happens next. Hopefully I’ll be able to find Fate soon. And since Fate is set two years later, we’ll see if the girls have matured and by how much. (I’m hoping Zo is prom queen. It would be perfect and funny if she was).

Reviewed at WhatchYAreading on May 20, 2011.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Tattoo.