Jenifer's Reviews > Beauty Sleep: A Retelling of Sleeping Beauty

Beauty Sleep by Cameron Dokey

May 20, 2011

liked it
Read in May, 2011

This may get a higher rating than it deserves, simply because it is the first book I have read lately that didn't have, like, 600 pages. What a relief!! This story was quite sweet, even though there was a bit of royal inbreeding going on. I guess that sort of thing happened in the higher courts, right? And really, since this IS a fairy-tale we probably shouldn't take any of that too seriously. Like this; if you run into a storytelling snag, as an author, you can just invent some kind of magic to clear things up quickly that usually keeps the story moving along. Like that.

I enjoyed this little break. I thought there was some pretty good descriptive writing at times and the relationships, though unexplored, were fine for the genre. I found myself thinking; "Wait. Why?" A couple of times, but as I said, refreshing to not have to try to solve all the literary problems of the world. Sometimes just to read, right?

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Beauty Sleep.

message 1: by Jenn (new)

Jenn I have read a couple of retellings of Sleeping Beauty, though not this one. My favorite, and one of my favorite books in general, is Enchantment by Orson Scott Card. I'm pretty sure it is in the "under 600 pages" category as well!

Jenifer Really! I've never heard of it! "Sleeping Beauty" is Amelia's favorite princess story. She has loved it forever. We may have to do that version someday....600 pages of "Sleeping Beauty?" I can't even imagine!

message 3: by Jenn (new)

Jenn I love sleeping beauty as well! I love this book because of the unique way it blends the modern day with a fairy tale. And it's only around 400 pages. It is one of those books I have re-read.