Jen (The Starry-Eyed Revue)'s Reviews > A Study in Scarlet Women

A Study in Scarlet Women by Sherry Thomas

bookshelves: first-reads, 2016, 2016-faves, adult, arcs, audiobooks, favorites, girl-power, historical-fiction, library, murder-mystery, reimaginings-retellings, sherlockian, re-read, 2018
Read 3 times. Last read February 26, 2018 to February 27, 2018.

I absolutely adored this gender-swapped Sherlock Holmes story featuring the odd duck Charlotte Holmes as the madame detective. I've read - and watched - a lot of Sherlock retellings over the years, but recently, they've just been outstanding. And they only keep getting better! From Cumberbatch's portrayal to Ellie Marney's EVERY series to William Ritter's Sherlock/Doctor Who mash-up...I just can't seem to get my fill.

But a retelling in which, gasp, the detective of the hour is female, albeit secretly so? Now that's unique. And in immediate need of my attention. Especially the way in which Charlotte is able to pull off the deception and the way in which familiar characters are introduced to the story. It's like coming home to find that someone has rearranged all your furniture. Familiar and yet not.

The streets of London are in the capable hands of Charlotte Holmes with Sherry Thomas at the helm, though. I was a bit confused at first, what with the flashbacks and, erm, the shocking events that led to Charlotte pretending to be Sherlock, but soon all became clear and the real mystery was afoot. And it was rather ingenious, the way it unraveled.

I've enjoyed Sherry Thomas' YA series and her historical fiction and I cannot wait to continue her Lady Sherlock series. I liked the small taste of romantic tension we got in this first installment, especially considering that love is probably at the very BOTTOM of Charlotte's list of priorities, and I can't wait to read more of her adventures and romantic liaisons...especially the scandalous ones!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Study in Scarlet Women.

July 13, 2016 – Shelved
September 12, 2017 – Shelved as: re-read
February 26, 2018 – Started Reading
February 26, 2018 – Shelved as: 2018
February 27, 2018 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)

message 1: by Tandie (new) - added it

Tandie I'm getting this on Hoopla ASAP. I've checked it out before, but have put it on the back burner (maybe even in the crock pot on the keep-warm setting). I've been slow to warm to Sherlock, I don't even know why. My daughter got me hooked on the Cumberbatch Holmes. I think I'll give this series a shot.

Jen (The Starry-Eyed Revue) Charlotte Holmes is a female Cumberbatch Holmes. It's quite good. My friend was reading it on my recommendation and then I decided to do a re-read because I missed Charlotte so much. :)

message 3: by Tandie (new) - added it

Tandie The disguised as a boy trope is a bonus! Men had so much more freedom, I love it.

Jen (The Starry-Eyed Revue) Well, she hasn't actually donned men's clothing yet in the pursuit of truth, but well, you'll see. It's all very clever how she keeps her admirers and clients thinking Sherlock is the genius behind the operation.

message 5: by Miriam (new)

Miriam Smith Lovely review Jen 😊

Jen (The Starry-Eyed Revue) Thanks, Miriam! :D

☕️Kimberly  Hey Jen, do you remember the setting for this? Was in winter?