Cheri's Reviews > Pond

Pond by Claire-Louise Bennett

bookshelves: 2016, goodreads-giveaway, ireland

Some have referred to Pond as a collection of short stories, I would say they’re loosely connected rambling thoughts, musings by the narrator, a woman in Ireland who lives alone in a cottage.

The writing is lovely. If there is any focus at all, it is the daily ordinariness of life, with a tongue-in-cheek sense of humour, softened. It’s all said with a nod to the joy of the everyday moments, the reflections on her walks about, the setting, her written ramblings as you follow her on her rambles about.

In trying to relay this, to write down what this is or maybe what this isn’t, it reminds me of what I’d expect to get in the mail from a quirky Aunt who sends an occasional missive to keep you apprised of the ins and outs of her life, her garden, the day to day of life. Nothing, really, is sacred, these thoughts of hers transcribed as though they are simply fleeting thoughts that she must get down on paper before they disappear.

What this book is, simply put, is just plain charming.

I won this as a goodreads give-away! Many thanks also to Riverhead Books and author Claire-Louise Bennett for providing me with this advanced copy.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Pond.

July 12, 2016 – Started Reading
July 13, 2016 – Shelved
August 6, 2016 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-21 of 21 (21 new)

message 1: by Elyse (new) - added it

Elyse Walters good?

Cheri Elyse, yes, it's good.... it's more like random daily musings about ordinary objects, things like that. I've been reading little snippets of this in between other things, but it's not the kind of book you sit down and read cover to cover, or even for a period of any great length. These are not extraordinary thoughts, nothing to make you sit up and say "Oh, I never thought of it that way" necessarily, but interesting and charming in its own way.

message 3: by Angela M (new)

Angela M Cheri, lovely review. I was turned down for an ARC but that's not going to keep me from reading this , especially after your review.

Cheri Angela, there are probably some people who this is *not* for, but I think you will like it, as well. It's very quirky-charming.

message 5: by Diane S ☔ (new) - added it

Diane S ☔ Excellent, Cheri. Waiting for the hardcover of this one.

Cheri Diane, lucky you!! I can't complain, though, it was so nice to have a book to hold in my hands that wasn't my kindle. I think you'll like this one, too!

message 7: by Esil (new)

Esil This sounds lovely Cheri. I hadn't heard of it.

message 8: by Rae (new) - added it

Rae Meadows Charming review, Cheri! Adding it.

Marjorie I loved this one, too, Cheri. Your review brought it all back to me. Lovely book.

message 10: by Victoria (new)

Victoria Lovely review, sounds like a great candidate for audio...taking a walk with a quirky aunt.

Cheri Esil, thank you. It's charming, lovely in spots, funny in others, her thoughts are a bit diverse on a variety of topics through her days. For me, I didn't feel as though it was a book to sit down and read cover-to-cover, but more of a bit at a time.

I vaguely recall reading a review of it before it was a goodreads giveaway, and I *believe* this was a UK/Ireland book published a while ago, but only recently available in the US & Canada.

Cheri Rae, I'm so glad you liked my review, I think when you read this you'll "get it." This book is so hard to relay the right impression of how it reads, and how quirky lovely this book is.

Cheri Victoria, thank you, I hope if you read this that you enjoy it, too.

message 14: by Karen (new)

Karen Lovely review! I added this :)

Cheri Thank you, Karen, I hope you enjoy this!

message 16: by Deanna (new)

Deanna lovey review, Cheri!!

Cheri Thank you, Deanna!

message 18: by Karen (new)

Karen Great review Cheri as yours always are.
xxoo

Cheri Thank you, Karen, you're so sweet. I appreciate you very much! xoxo

message 20: by Melissa (new)

Melissa Crytzer Fry What a fascinating review -- love the way you describe it as a note from an aunt. This sounds quite interesting!

Cheri Thanks so much, Melissa, this was, at the start, a very different book. It took me a little bit to really appreciate it, but in the end I loved it. The reviews for this book are all over the place!