Mark's Reviews > Star Wars: The Original Topps Trading Card Series, Volume One

Star Wars by The Topps Company

Jul 13, 2016

bookshelves: film, nostalgia, sci-fi

In 1977, Gary Gerani and Len Brown of the Topps Company, won the licence from 20th Century Fox to provide trading cards for their new film “Star Wars”. The first set - blue borders with a flecked starfield - consisted of 66 cards and 11 stickers and was an instant success, leading to a further four series (two more in 1977, the final two in 1978). I collected the first set as an 8-year-old who wouldn’t see the film until early 1978 but was desperate to and those cards provided me with a glimpse of this new world. As Gerani says in the book, “One of the cool things about Topp’s Star Wars trading cards was that they froze a specific moment from the movie and fanciful elements could be analysed at length. This was the pre-video age, so what flashed by on the big-screen was all you had to savour until you saw the film again - or bought some of our trading cards.” The book details everything about the five series, with an introduction by Gerani who sets the scene and explains the process. All of the cards and stickers are then reproduced (to a very high quality), with one a page (occasionally with narrative) and the cardbacks (story summary, movie facts, actor profiles and puzzle pictures) are presented too. There’s also a section focussing on the cards that were given away with Wonder Bread. The book itself is beautifully designed, not only for the image reproduction but also in that the dust jacket is the same as the series 1 pack (and even feels waxy) and there are some bonus cards stuck in at the back of the book (over an image of an empty box). The covers of the book itself show a stick of gum on the front and a broken stick on the back as if, I assume, you’d dropped it. A fantastic blast from the past, full of iconic images that take me back to 1977 and 1978, this is an excellent book and a must for Star Wars fans, especially if they were kids back in the late 70s. Very highly recommended.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Star Wars.

July 10, 2016 – Started Reading