Chantal Boudreau's Reviews > Dead: The Ugly Beginning

Dead by T.W. Brown

May 20, 2011

Read from May 20 to 23, 2011

TW Brown is very good at presenting his reader with the everyman. His protagonists tend to be average Joes with regular lives, dull jobs and routines that include sitting in front of the TV and hanging out with their dogs. It’s kind of appropriate that in this case the main character likes dogs, because he spends part of the book picking up lost strays (only human ones in this instance.)

Brown’s characters aren’t exactly the heroic type, but considering that the zombie apocalypse is thrust upon them with little warning and not the kind of trouble a veritable hero might go looking for, that’s no great surprise. It’s more an issue of thirst for survival than any valiant and lofty ambitions. In my opinion, that’s what these stories call for, a prime example of the basic human condition, in order to keep them believable.

There are other components that make for a great zombie story that I enjoyed in this book, in addition to the believable characterization. There was plenty of suspense and gore, well paced action scenes, and one of the things I look for – dark humour (zombie bowling anyone?)
The vignettes and the geeks were an interesting touch, providing a variety of perspectives of the apocalypse rather than just limiting the reader to that of the protagonist and a single viewpoint. I considered them an added bonus to the primary plot thread.

Overall, this was a fun and scary read, a combination of traditional apocalypse chaos and mayhem blended with greater character depth than the average zombie fare. It is certainly on my recommended list for those who are fans of zombie fiction.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dead.