Adara's Reviews > Wolf's Clothing

Wolf's Clothing by E.J.   Russell

Jul 12, 2016

An interesting take on werewolves which I'd not heard of before, but which has basis in ancient folklore: (view spoiler)

This book can be read as a standalone, but you might still benefit from having read Stumptown Spirits first, because there is quite a lot of reference to events which occurred in that book. In the first book, Trent is stuck as a ghost in a paranormal limbo, and the story is primarily about his college roommate, Logan, attempting to get him released from that limbo, eventually with the assistance of Logan's boyfriend, Riley. (It's Logan and Riley's story, but Trent's plight features prominently.)

I have not read the first book, but the events and what happened in that first book are described sufficiently well that I don't feel I need to go back and read it—though I probably will. However, there will be some details mentioned early on which will be confusing if you haven't read it. If you give this story time and keep going, all the pieces will fit, and you shouldn't feel like you're missing much.

One of the things I saw in reviews for the first story was the disappointment in the lack of closure between Logan and Trent at the end of the previous book. There's a reason for it explained in this story, which I believe starts seven months after the events from Stumptown Spirits ends. I think you will find what you're looking for in this story, as Logan and Riley do show up in this story also.

This story is partially about Trent's recovery from being locked in the ghost war for seven years, and partially about Christophe—a descendent of Bisclavret, one of the werewolves of legend—having to deal with his family's curse and antequated traditions. It is whirlwind: the whole thing takes place within five days, but it didn't feel rushed. (However, I did know what the resolution would be long before the characters figured it out. That may have attributed to my feeling of "get on with it" toward the middle.)

Overall it was an enjoyable story, and I look forward to the next in the series.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Wolf's Clothing.