Adam Heine's Reviews > Perdido Street Station

Perdido Street Station by China Miéville

May 20, 2011

Read from May 20 to June 10, 2011

The world is AMAZING. It felt like a dark, more serious Discworld -- a perfect example of how sci-fi and fantasy can blend into something totally unique. Seriously: steampunk tech, psuedo-scientific magic, fantastic sentient species, monstrous terrors, mafiosos, oppressive governments, and even artificial intelligence.

The plot starts pretty strong, then about a third of the way through gets seriously tense, almost (but not quite) turning the novel to horror. There were moments here and there that I felt were too coincidental (like when Isaac learned what to feed the caterpillar), but otherwise I really liked it.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Perdido Street Station.

05/26/2011 page 237
38.0% "Holy crap. This book went from intriguing to seriously tense!"

message 1: by Virginia (new) - added it

Virginia I'm curious to know what you think of Mieville. I found his book, The City/The City really annoying. I'm not sure if I'm going to give any of his other books a go. But if you like this one, I might give him another shot.

Adam Heine So far so good. Really interesting world. Strong tension. We'll see where he goes with it.

message 3: by Virginia (new) - added it

Virginia Whoo. Thanks for the warning that the book picks up after the first third. I look forward to reading this in the future. :D