Klinta's Reviews > Caraval

Caraval by Stephanie Garber

liked it

The main driving force for me to continue reading was that I wanted to know what is going to happen next. It's often like this with these mystery books that you read, because you just want to know. And it's not because you enjoy the book so much that you can't put it down. Because of that, the moment we found Tella I got annoyed because the only driving force was gone.

The book was very simple and felt plain, it didn't delve into details and didn't explain many things. And it wasn't magical. I was struggling. The characters were showing much more of themselves in the second part of the book and proved to be stupid. Actions, clues and mysteries didn't seem to be rooted in captivating, exciting puzzles, which turned this treasure hunt into cheap performance for the reader. Some of the clues were too obvious and this is one of those books where characters ignore them in order to get a "plot twist". No denying I was excited and genuinely entertained by some of the "puzzles", but not most.

Overall, I liked the first 2/3 of the book so much more than the last third and although the end feeling this book left wasn't the best, I will give the second part a try when it comes out.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Caraval.

July 11, 2016 – Shelved
July 11, 2016 – Shelved as: to-read
August 11, 2017 – Started Reading
page 44
page 121
page 172
42.26% "Despite this book being a bit plain, it is certainly captivating."
November 6, 2017 –
page 289
November 6, 2017 –
page 343
84.28% "The book and its​ characters have gotten annoying."
November 7, 2017 – Finished Reading