Jennifer Ellision's Reviews > Something Like Fate

Something Like Fate by Susane Colasanti

May 19, 2011

it was ok
bookshelves: young-adult, contemporary, romance, purchased, read-in-2012, reviewed
Read on February 01, 2012

Posted to Almost Grown-up:

I so badly wanted to like this book. The plotline reminded me of a YA version of Something Borrowed by Emily Giffin, which is one of my absolute favorite novels, so I picked this up with not a little excitement.

Unfortunately, I found little to love. At least there was the slight interest in astrology that both Lani and I seemed to share, and enough of an interest to see where the overarching plot and subplots may wind up to make me keep reading, but other than that…

Lani’s style of narration irritated me, particularly when she related instances of dialogue. She presented things as “And then I was like ‘yada yada Jason.’” or “So Erin’s like ____”. Total honesty? Sure, I’ve told a story like that when speaking– as have most people that I know. But in print, it I find that it reads awkwardly and just distanced me from Lani over and over again.

While I found a lot of the characters flat, none bothered me so much as Jason. I didn’t see what was wonderful enough about him to draw both Lani and Erin, nor did I feel the “amazing connection” that he and Lani were supposed to share.

There was a time when I might have actually liked this book, but I think that I wanted it and its characters to be more complex than they were.

Overall rating: 2/5. Unfortunately, this was just not for me. I believe this one is best aimed for the lower age group of spectrum of YA readers, but I’m still curious about Colasanti’s other work, so I may have to check it out.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Something Like Fate.