Akilah's Reviews > Sisterhood Everlasting

Sisterhood Everlasting by Ann Brashares

liked it
bookshelves: must-read-2018, 2018, books-for-grownups, june

So, this book starts with a tragedy and I was NOT PREPARED. As in, I almost quit reading the book because I was just not in the headspace to deal with a tragedy, and I am at the point in the semester/year/my life where I need stuff like that to be spelled out for me so I can decide if I even want to engage. But I checked in with some friends who read the book, and they told me to keep going, so I did.

I ultimately found the ending satisfying, but, man. This is a reminder to never ask authors to write new books about characters you love because almost always there will be tragedy. REMEMBER THIS, especially because in the end note Brashares said she could see writing another book about the sisterhood. Pretty sure I can't handle having my heart destroyed again, so no thanks on that one.

Other thoughts:

1. Not enough Carmen. She's my favorite character, but I felt she was unevenly represented in this book.

2. Lena continues to be the most boring. I found it particularly bothersome in this book because I related to her a lot, which made it 100 times worse.

3. Not enough dialogue. This book is super internally focused, which makes sense, but Brashares summarizes a lot of interactions the women have with other people, which made for a much less engaging read. I mean, sure, they have deep thoughts about things, but it would have been nice to break up all of that introspection with some showing instead of telling re: their relationships with other people.

It took me way longer to read this book than it should have, and that's in part because of the lack of dialogue. Also, the tragedy, but you knew that.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Sisterhood Everlasting.

May 19, 2011 – Shelved
January 2, 2018 – Shelved as: to-read
January 2, 2018 – Shelved as: must-read-2018
Started Reading
June 8, 2018 – Finished Reading
June 9, 2018 – Shelved as: 2018
June 9, 2018 – Shelved as: books-for-grownups
June 9, 2018 – Shelved as: june

Comments Showing 1-1 of 1 (1 new)

Kate eeeeeeeeee