Bradley's Reviews > Magic Rises

Magic Rises by Ilona Andrews

bookshelves: urban-fantasy, fantasy, 2016-shelf

Ah, this one got me in the gut. Not short of misunderstandings between lovers, the gang goes to the old world and rubs elbows with a really old clan and can I really, in my heart, decide who's more to blame with the fallout between Curran and Kate?

At least we know those two love each other, even if the pressure's on for greater alliances, Panacea shipments, love rivalries, get in the way.

And then there's the totally gratifying reveals about Kate's past. Yummy.

And I know it's kinda a cheat to keep saying that This Book is now my favorite of the series, because, chances are, at this rate, the Next Book will be my favorite, according to basic pattern recognition, but I can unequivocally say that I had an immensely grand time reading this.

Could this series quickly be becoming one of my favorite UF's? Possibly. It's kinda scary. I've already read a ton of UFs.

Of course, nothing is purely silver linings. I'm still reeling from a favorite character's death. It was a great sendoff, but still, it hurts. I just don't understand why it couldn't have been the self-styled pervert, instead. At least I could have chuckled a little bit. But no. It has to be... but alas, I can't spoil such things here...

*cry*

*cry*

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Magic Rises.

July 10, 2016 – Shelved
July 10, 2016 – Shelved as: to-read
July 13, 2016 – Started Reading
July 14, 2016 – Shelved as: urban-fantasy
July 14, 2016 – Shelved as: fantasy
July 14, 2016 – Finished Reading
December 31, 2016 – Shelved as: 2016-shelf

Comments Showing 1-35 of 35 (35 new)

Jenny, The Distracted Bee You need to pace yourself padwan. Soon your KD cup will runneth out!

Trish WAIT WHAT?????????

Trish No no no no no. You canNOT do this to me. Fuck spoilers, tell me EVERYTHING. Or I won't finish the book!

Nikki WHO DIES??

Trish I swear if he doesn't tell us, spoilers be damned, I'm flying to Canada and "extract" the information from him!!! I'm emotionaly VERY unstable today and this is the last thing I need right now!

Nikki If you do, tell me the answer too!

Trish *lol* I will if you tell the cops I was with you during the time of the murder torture.

Nikki Sure, you were totally with me in Belgium. My bunny can testify too. ;)

Trish *thumbs up*

Bradley Yeah, it was horrible. I'm still sad. I liked him/her/it so much.

But if you really, really, really, really, really, really, really want it... and be prepared to lose your shit... (view spoiler)

Don't you DARE click on this unless you're prepared for REAL ASS SPOILERS.

Trish You just saved your own life. ;)
And you want to know something? (view spoiler)
And WHAT THE HELL (view spoiler)
Honestly, I need the spoilers today or I won't have the strength to read through it.

Bradley So yeah, (view spoiler)
I'm so glad I get to live another day. :)

Trish Me too. ;)
Is there a resolution to Kate and Curran's fight (relationship problems) by the end of this book or do we have to suffer into the next one?

Bradley Oh no, full resolution, and while nothing is solved, nothing is worse. In other words, it's status quo with one addition. I call it a minor thing, but that's only because I read the blurb on book 8 so I was expecting it. Ho Hum. I wonder what happens in this book??? lol

Trish So at the end we have a happy couple again? Or am I misunderstanding now? And what about the panacea? Do they get that at least?
(view spoiler)

Bradley lol (view spoiler)

Jenny, The Distracted Bee you guys are awesome

Trish Good. So I can read in relative peace. Sometime. One last thing: (view spoiler)

Jenny, The Distracted Bee You used to unwrap your Christmas presents and then re-wrap them, didn't you.

message 20: by Trish (last edited Jul 15, 2016 08:47AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Trish Nope, I have to buy my own presents so there's no need for that. ;)

In this case my heart just can't deal with it any longer. And least not now.

Bradley I personally don't mind spoilers. It whets my appetite. :) Its other's oh so delicate emotions I'm being careful for. (view spoiler)

Plus, yeah, I do presents and mail, too, for reasonable prices. :)

message 22: by Trish (last edited Jul 15, 2016 10:11AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Trish WHAT?????????? Then why the hell (view spoiler)
Grrrrrrr!

Bradley (view spoiler)

Trish WHAT???
(view spoiler)

Bradley (view spoiler) :)

Trish So you are pulling my leg. When I'm emotionally unstable (well, more than usual). Do you have a death wish???

Bradley We shall see when you read it... and then you will trust. :) I did invoke a sacred spoiler alert. :)

message 28: by Trish (last edited Jul 15, 2016 01:27PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Trish But this time I want all the spoilers so there will be no surprises. Little Trish wants to be a safe reader this time. Little Trish can't deal with drama right now. Today was so bad (what with Nice first and then Turkey just now) that I couldn't read at all!

Bradley Maybe realizing that you are not the one to shoulder the burdens of the world might help a little? ; ; Believe me, I understand where you're coming from, but you're *probably* not responsible for the world tearing itself apart. *probably* *maybe*

*hug*

Trish Thanks but I already know that. So it's not really helping. Which is exactly why I don't need you-know-who to do you-know-what, leaving me thinking that it's all over with Kate and Curran.
*sigh*

Jenny, The Distracted Bee Which one briefly mentions a were-moose during a battle? That's my favourite were-animal. Were-dolphins? Not-so-much

Bradley At least it's not a were-swan. *barf*

message 33: by Sud666 (new)

Sud666 I happen to be terrified of were-swans...oh and were-mice as well...

Jenny, The Distracted Bee I hear you don't want to mess with were-swans; they can be quite vicious!

Bradley It's not the fact of the were-swans, themselves, it's their damn behavior. I hate how they keep saying, "Bro, yeah bro, Bro!" over and over to the other swans. ; ;