Ashkin Ayub's Reviews > F*ck Feelings: One Shrink's Practical Advice for Managing All Life's Impossible Problems

F*ck Feelings by Michael I. Bennett

liked it
bookshelves: non-fiction, humor

- Do you really have to resolve all of your childhood issues, examine all of your feelings and continue to face all of your demons in order to have a happy, meaningful life?
- No way!!!

F*ck Feelings is a practical self-help guide and the brainchild of Michael I. Bennett, M.D. (a certified psychiatrist) and his daughter, Sarah Bennett (Yes! a comedy writer). In it, Duo suggests that the modern techniques for dealing with life’s so-called impossible problems place unrealistic significance on resolving feelings.

We all fall down and mess it up, sometimes more often than not. There's little we can do control what happens in this life. Many things are simply beyond our reach. Yet what we can control is how we respond to those things. It's not always easy, to be the bigger man, to show grace to others and forgive without holding a grudge. But when we begin to see one another, as brothers and sisters, created with purpose and beauty, different, but full of worth just the same, we might start to see that it’s worth it to go the extra mile, showing compassion when it's undeserved or even unwanted. Because we all deeply need it, whether we know it or not. Today don't do what you want to do. Do what you need to do. Learn. Create. Engage.

Things that make you feel bad aren’t within your control, so sharing your feelings won’t make you feel better for long. If you expect to feel good when you can’t, you’ll feel worse. You feel like someone who’s lost his groove and can’t get it back.

And focusing on your bad feelings makes them more important, so you’ll forget other important things in your life that might make you feel better in the long run. So spending too much time with your feelings is dangerous for your health. Dr. Lastname (?!) advice is, F*ck ‘em. Goals are not just wishes or feelings – they’re what you want to do after you deal with the shitty reality, because the alternative of pretending that it will go away is even worse.

This book will give you honest, useful advice, not to hold you to believe that whatever impossible wishes you cherish will eventually come true. Harsh book! But if you’re ready to accept tough realities, Dr. Lastname can suggest you some good, specific things you can do that you didn’t think of before.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read F*ck Feelings.

July 10, 2016 – Started Reading