Ashley's Reviews > The Regulars

The Regulars by Georgia Clark

28820519

did not like it

I must have missed something here. I've never read a book that has inspired such a bad review and I'm going to try and keep my emotions in check.

I've just finished THE REGULARS by Georgia Clark...and I'm pretty mad.

RELEASE DATE: August 2016

PUBLISHER: Atira Books

DISCLAIMER: Novel sent via NetGallery in exchange for a honest review.

SYNOPSIS: Best friends Evie, Krista, and Willow are just trying to make it through their mid-twenties in New York. They’re regular girls, with average looks and typical quarter-life crises: making it up the corporate ladder, making sense of online dating, and making rent.

Until they come across Pretty, a magic tincture that makes them, well...gorgeous. Like, supermodel gorgeous. And it’s certainly not their fault if the sudden gift of beauty causes unexpected doors to open for them.

But there’s a dark side to Pretty, too, and as the gloss fades for these modern-day Cinderellas, there’s just one question left:

What would you sacrifice to be Pretty?

REVIEW: I normally start reviews with a small synopsis of the book told from my point of view. I'm not going to go in depth for this one.

Three girls believe they are ugly. These girls find a miraculous potion that makes them drop-dead beautiful. Three girls struggle with the ramifications of being 'beautiful' and leading new lives.

I hated this novel.

There I said it.

I don't normally hate anything. I can put a good spin on everything. I can't with this book. I've just finished it and I'm angry.

I'm angry that this book has been portrayed as anything feminist in nature. It isn't. It's abysmal to think so. The novel barely touches upon the 'love yourself' theme that everyone knows is evident after reading the synopsis. This novel is hateful - full of spiteful, uncharismatic, problematic women who are ugly on the inside.

This novel is obscene. Stupid. The execution of the unique plot is done in a method that is so incomprehensibly dumb - the girls take the magical potion to become pretty and then the literally sh*t themselves. Literally. Every time. Apparently this is supposed to be funny. It's ludacris. The 'sex scenes' sound like something about of a parody movie. The unfathomable actions of one character (ahem, using a fellow coworkers spiritual totem as a sex toy) was when I lost my bearings with this novel. Something that could have been so fun and funky has been bogged down with stupidity and poor plot lines.

There are beautiful authors out there struggling to be read and here I am reading this absurdity. I'm angry because I feel I deserved better as a reader. I've never written a review like this but I felt compelled today.

Don't read.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Regulars.

Finished Reading
July 10, 2016 – Shelved

Comments Showing 1-22 of 22 (22 new)

Katrina Oh thank God! I was reading the reviews and couldn't believe they were about the same book I read. It's truly awful.

Ashley Katrina wrote: "Oh thank God! I was reading the reviews and couldn't believe they were about the same book I read. It's truly awful."

OMG I'm so happy it wasn't just me. I have no idea what book the other reviewers read.

message 3: by Penny (new)

Penny McGlone I'm so glad I'm not the only one who hated it. I couldn't finish it. And I ALWAYS finish books.

Ashley Penny wrote: "I'm so glad I'm not the only one who hated it. I couldn't finish it. And I ALWAYS finish books."

I'm SOO happy it wasn't just me. Reading some of the reviews, I felt like I was on a different planet.

message 5: by Amy (new)

Amy Gary Oh good! I'm 10% into this book and already wondering if I should bother finishing it. DNFing it!

Jaynek Yes i totally agree. It was the sex scenes that really put me off. Yuck! And i stopped reading exactly when you did. I feel like i've been traumatised by it. The characters are just vile.

Ashley Jaynek wrote: "Yes i totally agree. It was the sex scenes that really put me off. Yuck! And i stopped reading exactly when you did. I feel like i've been traumatised by it. The characters are just vile."

I wish I could like your post.

Ashley Amy wrote: "Oh good! I'm 10% into this book and already wondering if I should bother finishing it. DNFing it!"

Read something else! ANYTHING else. Check our Taylor Jenkins Reid.

message 9: by Jp (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jp The word you are looking for is "ludicrous."

Ashley Jp wrote: "The word you are looking for is "ludicrous.""

message 11: by retronerd (new)

retronerd  Steinkuehler Thank you for saving me from something ugly.

Right?!

message 13: by Lisa (new) - rated it 1 star

Lisa Mossie Agree 100%. I loathed this book. I hated the same things you did.

Ashley Lisa wrote: "Agree 100%. I loathed this book. I hated the same things you did."

I get so happy when I realize it wasn't just me!

message 15: by Amy (new) - rated it 2 stars

Amy Yes to absolutely EVERYTHING in your review - you couldn't have put it more perfectly! I managed my way to the end, how I managed I will never know but it was so nauseatingly try hard and the characters were totally dull and cliche. I think the concept had so much potential but it was a complete let down

message 16: by Christina (new)

Christina Was literally just about to start reading this and I️ think I’m just not going to bother!

message 17: by Audhild (new)

Audhild I suspected as much when I read the synopsis and thanks for the warning! I shall steer away

message 18: by Offbalance (new)

Offbalance Holy cripes. Thank you for saving me $1.99 in today's kindle sale. I will definitely avoid this.

Lauren GIRL. This review is everything. I wrote a review months ago when I read this piece of trash that I wish I could have left negative stars on. It offends me this book was labeled as feminist literature. Deplorable.

message 20: by Elise (new)

Elise I got to the point where one girl throws away a major audition for a sample sale Zac Posen dress and decided this book was not for me. I have enough anxiety. I don’t need to read about women who choose to ruin their lives over fleeting possessions.

Karren Thank you!! The book was preachy without being self-aware enough to realize its characters are part of the problem!! I hated every single one of them. What vapid cliches.

Amanda 100% agree with your review.