André Carreira's Reviews > Flush

Flush by Virginia Woolf

bookshelves: auto-biography, anglophone

The most fun read I've had in a while, along with Wise Blood.
This book is a whole universe of sensations being described by a master of poetic prose. She creates a pretty accurate (I'd love to become a dog in another life and confirm it) canine world-view. It is through the nose of a dog through which we smell her delightful phrases, and get glimpses into the biography of the dogs owner. The owner being, of course, Elizabeth Barret Browning.
However, and even though I understand what she's getting at, I think Woolf focuses too much on the social status of dogs--which really does not exist materially except in our minds. Dogs have simple natures. They are only kings or peasants insofar as they are involved with our reckless, silly, complicated human agenda.
Most purebreds I know will be just as happy, if not more, drinking from a puddle than from a bowl.

I'm terrible at naming pets, so I couldn't help but smile at Mrs. Brownings name-choice. I feel I am no longer alone.
My very own border collie, Krusty, held his head raised in the most supercilious and lordly pose while I was reading this, and I will happily show it to you.
description

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Flush.

July 8, 2016 – Started Reading
July 10, 2016 – Shelved
July 10, 2016 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)

message 1: by Florencia (new) - added it

Florencia I wasn't aware of the existence of this book. It does sound rather interesting. Thank you for bringing it to my attention!
I'm also terrible at naming pets. Charlie Brown, a cat I had a couple of years ago, would agree with that statement.

(view spoiler)

Dolors Delightful, Carreira. Woolf's cunning irony shines through particulalry in the last para of this review.

André Carreira Florencia wrote: "I wasn't aware of the existence of this book. It does sound rather interesting. Thank you for bringing it to my attention!
I'm also terrible at naming pets. Charlie Brown, a cat I had a couple of ..."

Be careful, Peanuts might sue you for copyright infringement. The Simpsons are already onto me...
Thank you for your formatting tip!

André Carreira Dolors wrote: "Delightful, Carreira. Woolf's cunning irony shines through particulalry in the last para of this review."

Thank you, Dolores. Though I cannot live up to the essence of your praise, it is uplifting nonetheless.