Scrill's Reviews > This Savage Song

This Savage Song by Victoria Schwab

bookshelves: dystopian, ya

"It hadn't been just about the sinner in the end, it was about the sin itself, the shadow that ate away a human's light. And August wasn't human. He wasn't made of flesh and bone, or starlight. He was made of darkness."

This book really surprised me. It was entirely unexpected. The first 100 pages were a little slow for me while the character development started out the story. Once the initial hump was passed I finished rather quickly. Unfortunately, as a reader it's necessary to have that initial meet and greet with the characters as you sympathize with August who desperately doesn't want to do what he was created to do, and with Kate who wants to be appreciated as a "true Harker" and accepted by her father.

With such a unique concept, this dark dystopian novel takes you to a place where the United States has been split up into ten strictly bordered territories. Our story takes place in Verity, where the city has been split into two. The north Harker controls with monsters called Malchai and Corsai who are created from the horrible sins and murders and feed on the flesh and blood of humans. To the south Flynn controls the Sunai, who are created by incidents that take a mass of human lives. The Sunai feed of the souls of those who have murdered. August is a Sunai and Kate is the daughter of Harker.

So many twists and turns once the two interact on the verge of a war between the north, south, and all the monsters that surround them.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read This Savage Song.

July 10, 2016 – Started Reading
July 10, 2016 – Shelved
July 17, 2016 –
page 85
18.85% "Sort of a slow start, hasn't quite hooked me yet."
July 21, 2016 –
page 108
23.95% "still waiting to be hooked."
July 24, 2016 –
page 149
33.04% "still waiting to be hooked."
July 25, 2016 –
page 173
38.36% "Finally, intrigue."
July 26, 2016 –
page 253
56.1% "OOooh. This is getting exciting."
July 28, 2016 – Shelved as: dystopian