Jessica Alcazar's Reviews > Interference

Interference by Mignon Mykel

bookshelves: mykel-mignon, 2016-blog-tour-read, pr-indie-sage, reviewed-amazon

In the interest of full disclosure, I DNF From the Beginning when it was offered to me as an ARC for review. I tried. Like REALLY tried. Made it up to Chapter 11 and just could go no further. Honestly. I just wanted to poke my eyes out with an ice pick ... For personal reasons, I did not sit down and list off every single thing I felt was wrong with the book. I knew it was Mignon Mykel's first novel and I also knew that it was years in the making. And that it had been thoroughly revised from its original version. Put all that together and I wasn't about to chop it to pieces. Because the story had potential. It had a solid foundation, but ..... anyways, it didn't deliver in any way for me.

When Interference came up for blog tour review, I REALLY had to think thru whether I wanted to put myself thru this again. But I figured ... second book, maybe learn some new things, better work. SO, I jumped in. I'm really glad that I did !! :)

This story begins a second generation of Prescott's. For lack of a better phrase, it's the baby born from From the Beginning (Prescott Family, #0.5). Caleb Prescott is not your ordinary celebrity sports player. He doesn't have a bad image and he doesn't go around screwing his way thru every puck-bunny in sight. He truly is the nicest of nice guys. That had me a little worried for him. He fell hard for Sydney and was all in from the beginning but Sydney was having none of that LOL This turn of the tables was very refreshing. Sydney was career orientated and focused solely on that ... but a girl can only hold back for so long before her girlie parts take over :) And boy did these two have chemistry! The dual POV helps tremendously in understanding both Caleb and Sydney. They are young. They have insecurities (well, Sydney does ... a lot!) and there's a lot of back and forth that may or may not annoy you but stick with it because in the end, you get a feel good romance with next to no angst and sugary sweetness!

Overall, this is was a HUGE improvement from Book 1 for me but some of the issues I had are still there. Both Sydney and Caleb spent WAY too much time in their heads rather than talking to each other. That causes frustration in a reader because it breaks down communication between the leads and it makes it where the reader knows more than the leads themselves. That definitely is very prominent in this story. However, that's just a dislike on my part. It by no means made the story badly written. I just prefer my characters to talk TO each other then to themselves.

Copy provided for blog tour review

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Interference.

July 10, 2016 – Shelved
August 12, 2016 – Started Reading
August 18, 2016 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-1 of 1 (1 new)

WhiskeyintheJar/Kyraryker Great honest review. Even if a debut author's work doesn't initially work for you, you can sometimes see the potential in them and know it's a maturity and experience thing. There are some authors I bookmark to go back and try their fifth books :)