Seth's Reviews > Atlas Shrugged

Atlas Shrugged by Ayn Rand

Jun 05, 2007

did not like it

This book, as much as I detest it, is actually rather useful. Those who have read it tend to be those whom I most especially desire to avoid. Because those who have read it are invariably proud of the fact--ostentatiously so--it is even easier for me to keep my life free and clear of delusional egomaniacs. Thank you Ayn Rand.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Atlas Shrugged.

Finished Reading
June 5, 2007 – Shelved

message 1: by Петър (new)

Петър Стойков well, since you rated the book, you have obviously read it, so I cant help to wander how can you manage to avoid yourself...

message 2: by Morgan (new)

Morgan F Longanlon wrote: "well, since you rated the book, you have obviously read it, so I cant help to wander how can you manage to avoid yourself..."

That's what I was thinking.

Marge Sorry you feel that way. I've lived my life not looting, working hard and living a life (I hope) of integrity. No one in my life has ever called me a delusional egomaniac. I'm not so sure you read the book.

Jordan The "egomaniacs" you're talking about are the people who will most respect you and others.

Marge There are many people like Seth who would rather cling to their illusions than face reality. It's so much easier for them.

message 6: by Jakob (new)

Jakob Marge wrote: "There are many people like Seth who would rather cling to their illusions than face reality. It's so much easier for them."

So those who don't agree with the book aren't facing reality? Is that what you're saying?

BookGuys So a one star review from someone who hasn't read the book? Classy.

Sahil Sood i don't blame you

message 9: by T (new)

T This review, plus four stars for a Paul Krugman book, tells me that Ayn Rand was a bit over your head.

Nyskier Funny review! One of the best!

message 11: by Joseph (new)

Joseph White to say a book is useful after giving it one star = me ignoring your review

message 12: by Shreya (new) - added it

Shreya Dixit Funny, but I'm going to be one of those people. All said and done 600 hundred pages are bound to have some substance as much as we are unwilling to see. I think the book provides a provocative alternative way of thought...helps keep an open mind. :)

message 13: by Kayce (new) - rated it 1 star

Kayce i agree! it's my deal-breaker book -- if someone loves it, i do my best to pretend they don't exist!

Rikanin I Agree and a lot of the comments to your review support that. I initially just liked it because it was a good story. (Of course I can't ever read it again because at my age my tolerance for bullshit has winked right out existence) I did have the opportunity at one time to talk to a group of people who'd read it as well thinking, "Hey we have this in common." and wow. What a bunch of arrogant douche bags. I see many of them have likely commented here already.

And Kayce - we can like the book and not be douche bags so long as we don't eat drink and sleep the flawed philosophy. To me I'll think back on it as a nice story about a railroad.

Serahe a very black and white way of thinking against a book you don't like because of it's black and white thinking.

Marge I'm an older lady who has had a difficult life, but Ayn Rand's philosophy has helped me through it. Everywhere I have been employed my work has been valued along with my moral code. Thank you, Ayn Rand, for bringing the philosophy to life for me!

William Awesome review!