Rio (Lynne)'s Reviews > A Rose for the Crown

A Rose for the Crown by Anne Easter Smith

May 18, 2011

bookshelves: historical-fiction, historical-romance

Historically, Richard III did have two known bastard children Katherine Plantagenet and John of Gloucester. Historians have questioned the fact that Kate Haute was their mother, but there is no official proof. This is where the author takes Kate and gives us a soap operish sweeping saga. This could be a made for TV movie. I enjoyed this, but I also took it with a grain of salt. Richard III is made into a saint, which was a little tongue in check for me. Overall this book covers a lot! If you are a sucker for romance, this novel has plenty of that and if you are interested in the War of Roses, this novel brings you a very one sided Ricardian view. There are many things we will never know: Who killed the Princes in the Tower? Who was behind making King Edward's marriage to Elizabeth illegal and did Richard really flaunt and love his niece Elizabeth? I won't lie, I couldn't put this one down. I always like to hear both sides of an argument and I looked forward to each page to see how the author would spin Richard's tales.
Why 4 stars, because I was simply entertained and carried this FAT book around in my hands for days.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Rose for the Crown.

May 18, 2011 – Started Reading
page 400
June 6, 2011 – Shelved as: historical-fiction
June 6, 2011 – Finished Reading
July 3, 2011 – Shelved as: historical-romance

Brittany B. You captured my feelings exactly. It was interesting, but I took it with a grain of salt.