Kara Lucas's Reviews > Hope's Boy: A Memoir

Hope's Boy by Andrew Bridge

5119225
May 18, 2011

bookshelves: young-adult

Beautifully written, poignant, this memoir made me cry.

A must read for anyone in the child welfare profession, or really anyone who just cares about kids. This book was particularly special to me as a social worker--I actually interned at McClaren Hall, where Andy was housed for a while, when I was in graduate school. Back in 1995, that place was horrifying, and I saw things that made me cringe: solitary confinement, staff ambivalence, severely disturbed children with no other place to go.

It is so important for us to know how badly the child welfare system is broken, and Andy writes of his survival through it so well. And survive he did; it was an added bonus to the book to know just how well he succeeded in his professional life.

I just wanted to take little Andy Bridge home and give him a hug. Maybe that's why I work in adoptions--each child I can find a home for is one less child in foster care.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Hope's Boy.

Kara Lucas Beautifully writte, poignant, this book made me cry. A must read for anyone in the child welfare profession, or really anyone who cares about kids. This book was particularly special to me as a social worker--I actually interned at McClaren Hall, where Andy was housed for a while, when I was in graduate school. It is so important for us to know how badly the child welfare system is broken, and Andy writes of his survival through it so well. I just wanted to take him home and give him a hug.