Kendra's Reviews > Bent Road

Bent Road by Lori Roy

May 18, 2011

it was ok

What can I say? I was looking forward to reading this due to all the positive reviews, but I just did not like this book much. I didn't like the writer's style, and I thought the storyline was pretty predictable and at some times downright unpleasant. This is a mystery written for adult audiences, and I guess it can be classified as slightly historical as well since it's set in the 1960s. The story revolves around a family that has moved to a small KS town from Detroit. The family's father, Arthur, grew up in the town and left years ago after his little sister died and hadn't been back since. Once the family gets back to town, a child disappears, and suspicion falls on several family members. I guess one thing I didn't like about this book is the negative light in which rural farm life is portrayed. I just felt like it was presented as a very bleak existence, which may be the reality. I don't know since I didn't live on a farm in the 1960s, but I found the book, overall, to be dark and depressing. I also felt like the storyline of the mystery was fairly predictable. I struggled to get through this and will admit to skipping passages, especially when the kids were killing animals for fun. Yuck.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Bent Road.

May 18, 2011 – Started Reading
May 18, 2011 – Shelved
June 8, 2011 – Finished Reading

Comments (showing 1-3)

dateUp arrow    newest »

message 3: by Ann (new) - rated it 1 star

Ann Santori I just finished/reviewed this book and I feel similarly. A total fail mostly because of a sub-par writer, but also because of a purposeless overload of shock-value plot points.

message 2: by Toni (new) - rated it 1 star

Toni Lapp Totally agree. If it's to be set in the 1960s, why not have some details to give it more atmosphere. No discussion about the race riots or the counterculture at the time. Also, giving two of the oddball characters physical deformities seemed really unenlightened.

Aaron Yes, there was animal cruelty, but the middle son, Daniel, is appalled at what he did.