Ram Solanki's Reviews > Anonymous Lawyer

Anonymous Lawyer by Jeremy Blachman

As I was in hunt for a rather specific book, as always there was an offer of 3 for 2 at Waterstones & I wasn't actually sure that the Skin Gods was the one I was after, the guy at the store thought it would be one of two books, the Skin Gods (which it turned out to be) or Shadow Man (which I shall start reading next). So I had a freebie to grab so to speak, this one just sounded fun by its description (above). Being a recent blogger myself, it had appeal on a geek level as well as personal one.

As it turns out, this book is awesome. I've now got to the stage where I'll be trailing through its original source reading all the archives over the next few weeks. I'd recommend reading the book first though, as it has its own self-contained story arc.

The protagonist is the very essence of all of us. The things we all think yet few of us say. In a twisted yet humorous kind of way, he's someone to look up to. Okay I should probably point out he is fictional, but hey, so is Hannibal Lecter & Eric Cartman & David Hasselhoff, okay maybe not the latter, but we all know how frickin' cool they are.

Now, funnily enough, it's a good thing that this guy is fictional because if he was some high flying lawyer he'd probably be pretty screwed. Of all places I read that Waterstones fired someone for having a blog where he vented. The irony that I happen to pick up this book by random chance at the same store, huh??

Not so surprisingly, I can see a lot of parallels between the lawyer's world and my own, though I'm not in the industry of law, I'm still a part of the Capitalist society that only allows the fittest to thrive and survive, kinda like Spartans in suits -- things aren't so different. Their expectations of unconditional love for the firm, lack of any other commitments in life to the extent of a low tolerance for it.

It may seem to some of you that all the books that I am reading seem to be having top reviews, so I should clarify, if I get through a book, that in itself is an achievement, unlike films, it is quite normal for me to leave a book a few chapters in if I get bored. With this one, I can't imagine anyone able to do that.

Jeremy Blachman gives us an anonymous lawyer with frustrated rants intwined with plenty a dose of "laugh out loud" humour. I would recommend this book to anyone that has a job, or a boss, or a life (or not).

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Anonymous Lawyer.

Started Reading