Cody Sexton's Reviews > Letter to a Christian Nation

Letter to a Christian Nation by Sam Harris

it was ok

The question is not whether God exists. The question is whether we concern ourselves with it or are utterly indifferent to it. So the problem becomes one of not religion per say, but one of religious tribalism.
This book is an attack, not on faith, but on a system of superstition and a belief in magic and the childish notion of an anthropomorphic God that is characteristic of the tribe. Harris calls this religion, but many do not.
The biggest problem we face isn’t religious extremism, it’s actually the same problem that many religions attempt to address, how do we find meaning in an otherwise meaningless world? Or better yet, how do we transcend what it means to be human? Because only when we can find transcendence can we also find peace.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Letter to a Christian Nation.

July 8, 2016 – Shelved
page 57
September 14, 2017 –
page 84
September 15, 2017 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)

message 1: by Ernest (new)

Ernest Adewoyin I personally do not agree with Sam Harris as I find him over-generalising and lumping all religion together but I find his challenge to every religion really admirable. It puts religious people on their toes and forces them think and question why they believe what they believe :)

Cody Sexton I’m a big fan of Sam Harris, he’s very articulate and his ideas are very well thought out. This book just didn’t do for me, maybe because I’ve heard it all before.