The Flooze's Reviews > Bite Club

Bite Club by Rachel Caine

May 18, 2011

liked it
bookshelves: owned, urban-fantasy-paranormal, vanquished_2011, ya_teen

Though I’m growing a little tired of this series, Bite Club has enough action and change to keep me reaching for the next one.

I’d noted in my review of Ghost Town that Caine needed to shake things up for Morganville to remain engaging. The last book brought certain storylines to a close; Bite Club does much the same. It ties up more loose ends, forcing Caine into an interesting position: existing adversaries have been dealt with, leaving us little to speculate on when it comes to the next conflict.

Since I was unsure about continuing with Morganville, I’m actually quite pleased. When it comes to long-standing series, there’s nothing more welcome than change.

With a title like Bite Club, I’m sure most readers can make a solid guess at the plot. And they’d be right. What makes this book different is we aren’t stuck solely in Claire’s POV. Caine frequently takes us into Shane’s head where we learn of the frustration and rage borne of his experiences, and of the protectiveness he feels towards Claire. Putting this side by side with Claire’s observations upped the tension and was a good method of keeping Shane sympathetic when he lashed out. However, it raises a concern: I would hate for a naïve teen reader to perceive an abusive friend/boyfriend as someone who just “doesn’t mean it” or who needs to be “saved” without outside help. Without the presence of Michael - and his vampire healing and reflexes - the situation would’ve been dire. And Claire allows herself to be manhandled because of her certainty that the people she trusts won’t take things too far. A foolish notion, and one I wouldn’t want to encourage in real life.

As always, the most amusing and thrilling interactions are between Claire and the resident vampires. Amelie becomes more intense with each installment, and I look forward to discovering how recent events impact her rule. Myrnin is…Myrnin. Crazy, endearing and dangerous, he’s the one character of Caine’s who never fails to engage me. He’s quite the enigma, and his antics make me chuckle. Although he gets a good amount of page-time, I continually find myself hoping for more.

I have my misgivings as to the life of this series, but the air of Out with the Old is promising. It allows me to justify picking up the next release. Fingers crossed that I won’t be disappointed.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Bite Club.

May 18, 2011 – Shelved
May 18, 2011 – Shelved as: owned
May 18, 2011 – Shelved as: urban-fantasy-paranormal
May 28, 2011 – Started Reading
May 29, 2011 –
page 53
15.59% "Interesting change-up. We're treated to a few pages of Shane's first person POV."
May 30, 2011 –