Book Concierge's Reviews > The Last Runaway

The Last Runaway by Tracy Chevalier

it was ok
bookshelves: audio, concierge, historical-fiction, library, ohio, slavery, strong-women

Audiobook performed by Kate Reading
2.5**

In 1850, Honor Bright accompanies her sister to America. Grace is betrothed to a Quaker merchant who has set up shop with his brother in Ohio. Honor is fleeing a failed romance, hoping for a new start. But the “frontier” of Ohio is very different from the long-established English community Honor left, and she feels adrift and unwelcomed, though she has little choice but to rely on these virtual strangers to help her.

I’ve been a fan of Chevalier’s for a long time. I like the way she puts the reader into the time and place of her historical novels, and this is no exception. I felt I was discovering the joys of sweet corn, the marvel of lightning bugs, and the trill of song birds right along with Honor. I was interested in the realities of life in such communities at this time in America’s history, and liked the references to the Underground Railroad and the subtle (and not-so-subtle) ways in which “Friends” helped the runaways.

But I didn’t really believe in Honor. She seemed way too naïve and trusting, and the whole “on and off” attraction to “bad boy” Donovan seemed way out of character for her. And then there’s the ending … it seemed to me that Chevalier got herself into a corner and didn’t know how to get out, so she used the most convenient way to end things. It was so dissatisfying, to me, that I dropped half a star.

Kate Reading does a fine job performing the audio version, although she never succeeded in giving Honor (or any of the other new arrivals from England) a British accent (something which is commented upon several times).

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Last Runaway.

Started Reading
July 8, 2016 – Shelved as: library
July 8, 2016 – Shelved as: ohio
July 8, 2016 – Shelved as: slavery
July 8, 2016 – Shelved as: strong-women

Comments Showing 1-1 of 1 (1 new)

Linda Great review, Book Concierge. I've always loved Chevalier's books, but this one did not have her usual heart and soul in it.