Emily's Reviews > Red Leaves

Red Leaves by Paullina Simons

it was ok

Read this as a book club read. Definitely a fluff read. I don't mind a really good murder mystery fluff, so I was actually sort of looking forward to it, but I hated it. It wasn't as page-turn-y as most murder mysteries, but enough that I at least wanted to finish it. (Although, I may have stopped reading if it hadn't been for the book club.)

The character development was abysmal. The characters were just not at all believable - not because the story itself was unbelievable, but I just constantly found myself rolling my eyes. For example, the author would have us believe that the main character is a senior double major in philosophy and religion at Dartmouth, and she says that she has never thought about capital punishment or formed an opinion on it. Yeah, right.

Another character, a sociology major at Dartmouth, apparently earlier in their Dartmouth career asked the main character, "What is socialism?" Ummm no. If you are smart enough to get into Dartmouth, sorry, but you know what socialism is. At least generally.

Another character, another senior at Dartmouth, tells a police officer about a lake nearby "with some long Indian name". He was talking about Lake Winnipesaukee. Really? Anyone that has lived in New England for 5 minutes knows the name Lake Winnipesaukee, even if you've never been. And he'd been in NH for 4 yrs. OK.

It was stuff like this over and over.... just poorly written. Plus tons of minor consistency problems, like dollar amounts of things not being consistent even within the same paragraph. Sloppy writing.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Red Leaves.

Finished Reading