Michelle Johnson's Reviews > Raze

Raze by Tillie Cole

Viktor, whispered in exasperation, “...You don’t fuck with the Volkov Bratva. All that surrounds them is death.”

Exhaling slowly, I stated, “I am death.”

photo giphy_zpspf1wzphn.gif

I've come to discover that I have a fetish for dark books where the characters are beyond broken and disturbed, but can still find love despite of the disaster they call life.

Luka was born into the biggest crime family in Brooklyn. Let's just say in their world, he was more like royalty. The jealousy and greed of who he thought was family ruined his life. Setting him up for a crime he didn't commit, resulting in him being sent to an underground death ring where he was abused, drugged and forced to fight just to survive. Problem is, the only way to survive this hell is to be dead inside and become the monster the ring needs you to be. Luka had to die so that Raze could be born.

This book was so intense! The descriptive writing made me visualize and feel everything while still being easy to follow.

Raze, aka Luka reminded me of Achilles from the movie Troy. All the man knew was death. Killing made him a champion. Add tattoos and a broken mind in the mix and there we have Raze.

"I killed because I had to. I had no other choice. I was already dead, no more than a number—stripped of morals, stripped of freedom, and stripped of life. I was an animal conditioned to inflict pain without remorse. And you couldn’t kill someone who had no soul."

photo 512ef564-fbfd-457d-8681-19723e20ed84_Troy_zpsrfxnxuwt.gif

I love the beauty meets beast concept. The chemistry and history between Kisa and Raze was quite cheesy at times but I drank it all up, loving every second of it.

"When I was halfway around, something made me look up, some magnetic pull. I never looked up, never showed my eyes to anyone but the man I was about to kill. But this time, I couldn’t resist. High up in a box way above the crowd, Kisa’s face came into focus."

All in all, this is the type of read that makes your heart hurt. Almost painfully. However, if you're glutton for punishment like yours truly, give it a go! Can't wait to read the second instalment.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Raze.

July 8, 2016 – Started Reading
July 8, 2016 – Shelved
July 8, 2016 –
page 40
July 8, 2016 –
page 184
71.88% "This always happens. I start reading a book, then come across another one, check out one chapter...then low and behold the damn thing takes over my life."
July 11, 2016 – Finished Reading