Susan Peterson's Reviews > Facing Violence: Preparing for the Unexpected

Facing Violence by Rory Miller

If you teach martial arts or self defense, especially if you teach young men, you must read this book. It covers the dynamics of violence, both violence perpetrated by social predators and violence that stems from social posturing and dominance behavior (the "monkey dance").
As an author, I have a lot of respect for Sgt. Miller's writing abilities. The book is nicely structured and tightly written. The style matches the content perfectly--clear, straightforward, no-nonsense. As a martial artist who hasn't been in the trenches, I am grateful for his insights and examples. Sgt. Miller, as a protector of society, has seen it all. Because he has seen it all and has thoroughly processed it for himself, he is able to describe it to us members of society who sincerely hope we never see any of it. I have read a several books of its kind, and this one is hands-down the best. He has written an emergency book--what do do when faced with real-world violence--that will undoubtedly save lives.
As an aside, I have a request for his next book: facing domestic violence. This book addresses predator violence and dominance behavior violence. It's outstanding in the way it addresses the kind of violence men (and some women) face. Next, I'd like to see Miller's take on male-female violence, particularly between intimates.

Susan Lynn Peterson, author of
Western Herbs for Martial Artists and Contact Athletes and
Legends of the Martial Arts Masters
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Facing Violence.

May 18, 2011 – Started Reading