Bron's Reviews > The Iron Duke

The Iron Duke by Meljean Brook

May 17, 2011

bookshelves: historical, steampunk, detective

The Iron Duke is about a girl, Mina born into a alternative view of our world. This book is steampunk, and mentions lots of unique instruments. In this world there is a "blacksmith" who has the ultimate knowledge in prosthetics which can actually enhance a person's normal abilities (given to people who lose their limbs or organs).

This London has been formed after 200 years of occupation by "the horde" (a group which I strongly suspect may be asian since the half castes are "Mongols"). The horde had controlled the English by injecting them with bugs - (some sort of nanoparticle). These bugs could help the body heal, but, with the right equipment can also be used to control the subjects.

Mina is the daughter of an upper class family (which, typically post horde also means just scraping by), however, unfortunately for her she was born post a horde induced frenzy, and is half horde. Mina works as a murder investigator, and is sent to investigate a murder that has occurred at the mansion of the very famous Iron Duke.

This murder becomes more and more complicated and turns out to be the face of a large plot against the "buggers"( people that have the nano bugs in their blood), and Mina becomes involved with the Iron Duke in getting to the heart of the matter.

This story does attempt to be a love story, however it really didn't seem to have its heart fully into the love part of the story, and didn't move me at all. Overall, I really enjoyed the story, and loved the ingenuity of the gadgets, it will be interesting to see what the next book is like!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Iron Duke.