Barbara's Reviews > Some Kind of Courage

Some Kind of Courage by Dan Gemeinhart

Like other reviewers, I love this author's previous title, The Honest Truth, and wasn't sure how I'd feel about this one. I worried about his possibly experiencing the dreaded sophomore slump and was concerned about the book being set in 1890 Washington. Well, my fears were groundless. From the opening scene in which Joseph Johnson, the book's protagonist, tries to slip away in the night from the cruel taskmaster who has betrayed him to its emotionally satisfying, the book kept me enraptured, and I could barely turn the pages fast enough to see what was going to happen. The twelve-year-old boy has lost everything that matters to him--his home, his little sister, his mother, and even his father. Now that his beloved horse, Sarah, has been sold, nothing will stop him from finding her. Along the way, he encounters friends and foes and faces choices and challenges that no youngster should have to face. And yet, his determination never wavers. Across the central and eastern part of the state he travels with one goal only in sight--bringing back his sweet Sarah. In masterful fashion, Dan Gemeinhart tells a story of persistence, of a single-minded courage, and love that will thrill readers and have them clutching their chests and wiping their eyes. Not only is Joseph's story riveting, but the author has woven in many other subplots and introduced several interesting characters whose lives only briefly touch the main character's and leave readers wondering about what brought them to their own particular crossroads. I felt every inch of every mile that Joseph walked over those mountains as well as his desperation at losing the only thing that mattered in his life. This is an ideal book for sharing with others and rejoicing in one boy's ultimate triumph over seemingly-impossible odds. Joseph's journey will turn even the most recalcitrant pessimist into an optimist, trusting in the help of others and some kind of courage of one's own. I thoroughly enjoyed every word, and highly recommend moving this to your must-read-now pile.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Some Kind of Courage.

Started Reading