Brianna's Reviews > Ready Player One

Ready Player One by Ernest Cline

F 50x66
Jul 07, 2016

** spoiler alert ** Ready Player One is as addicting as the virtual video game that it portrays. From chapter one, I was hooked. Not only do Cline's descriptions of the real world and virtually simulated planets jump to life as is I were plugged into my own OASIS console, his narrator Parzival, your classic poor, downtrodden hero with the brains and gumption to solve the riddle of the genius gamer James Halliday that no one else can, is instantly lovable, his action packed quest gripping.

If this book doesn't make you want to dive into all things '80s--and virtual reality computer simulations to boot--I don't know what will. Yet it's also a reminder of the beauty of the real world, of the now, of this time we live in, hovering in the brink of our IRL and virtual selves, a reminder that despite glory and possibility available in VR, nothing compares to the great outdoors and the touch of love.

Though the ending is predictable, it's just what you expect, what you crave from the novel and falls in line with the wrapped-up-with-a-bow '80s flicks its characters so adore. If for no other reason than to read the book before the film comes out, pick up a copy of this novel today.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Ready Player One.

Quotes Brianna Liked

Ernest Cline
“People who live in glass houses should shut the fuck up.”

Ernest Cline
“Going outside is highly overrated.”

Ernest Cline
“Whenever I saw the sun, I reminded myself that I was looking at a star. One of over a hundred billion in our galaxy. A galaxy that was just one of billions of other galaxies in the observable universe. This helped me keep things in perspective.”

Ernest Cline
“No one in the world gets what they want and that is beautiful.”

Started Reading