Fatima Bastaki's Reviews > The Forbidden Game

May 17, 2011

liked it
Recommended to Fatima by: Fatema Meamari
Recommended for: Ghaida Abdul Rahman

To Start off, this was a book series that was completely different from all the other L.J. Smith books I've Read. I really did enjoy the whole idea of the plot, it gave off this Alice in Wonderland vibe but a little more edgier, creepier and eccentric. I Liked that. Especially how all these freakish games put nicely together come up by none other than Evil Julian. I found third book of the series especially creepy that got me excited because of the Shadow Men, the books and spells she witnessed in her Grand Father's basement and how the Shadow Men kept his soul trapped in the Shadow World for so long you'd rather wished he was dead than tortured. I didn't particularly find the characters quite amazing as I thought i would.
Julian was everything in a character you'd find as hot, dangerous and evil from his wild cool white hair to his snake tattooed wrist! But I really didn't enjoy the way he treated Jenny like she was a prize no one can take. It was sickening with the death threats to her and her loved ones, it was controlling and completely not what I would call a pleasant obsession.
Jenny, the blonde goody two shoes at first due to her picky boyfriend Tom eventually takes a big leap from being reserved and collected to strong-willed and independent. I don't like her all that much and especially not her relationship with Tom but I did admire that she can be on her own with people actually seeing that change in her.
Tom, being also one of the characters that changed through their experiences. Arrogant at first but became more appreciative yet still careless.
Zach, I actually liked his character quite a bit as he is odd with a strange artistic mind.
Audrey, although sophisticated as she is proves that she can withstand a hell of an adventure that they went through especially with her frightening elves.
I also find the pairing of Audrey and Michael quiet so adorable, the combination of their wits and charms put together make them a fun couple.
Michael, the book worm! I adore his character, he brings out the fun moments in the group from his paranoia.
Dee! I really love her, she just shines with her charisma despite her lack of fondness for technology and books. Shes like a package of her own 1,2,3 Action!
Summer, Hah don't even get me started on how dainty she is. I actually found that her nightmare bedroom eating her up quite funny.

Definitely a book that entertains! Long but worth the creeps ;D
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Forbidden Game.

Quotes Fatima Liked

L.J. Smith
“Wasnt it Startre who said hell was eternity spent in a room with your friends?”
tags: humor

L.J. Smith
“The image isn't reality. Even though we're used to thinking that way alot of the time. We show a kid a picture of a dog and say 'This is a doggie' - but it's not. It's just an image.”

L.J. Smith
“Nothing really dies as long as it's not forgotten”

L.J. Smith
“For a moment, without thinking of anything else, Jenny was simply proud of him. Fiercely, passionately proud that a human, a seventeen-year-old who hadn't even heard of the Shadow Men until a month ago, could stand up to them like this. Could conceal his terror and smile that way and offer to die.”

L.J. Smith
“I am just two and two. I am hot. I am cold. I'm the parent of numbers that cannot be told. I'm a gift beyond measure, a matter of course, and I'm yielded with pleasure- when taken by force.”

May 17, 2011 – Started Reading