GeraniumCat's Reviews > The Day is Dark

The Day is Dark by Yrsa Sigurðardóttir

Jul 06, 2016

bookshelves: order-from-library, crime, mystery

Thoroughly enjoyed this, although I was a little troubled by the number of holes that seemed to be cropping up. These were resolved far enough to make the ending work, and ignorable enough not to spoil my enjoyment, though I can imagine some pickier readers might find it more difficult. The atmosphere was terrific and it reminded me very much of Michelle Paver's Dark Matter.

On a Greenland mining station three people have disappeared and the Icelandic workforce refuses to return. A team is sent to investigate the circumstances and prevent a possible insurance claim: as a lawyer, Thora joins the team led by her partner Matthew, to consider contractual issues. A doctor and a rescue worker accompany them, along with two erstwhile members of the workforce who clearly loathe each other. The deserted mining base is claustrophobic and the telephone lines are down. There's a mysterious shaman, a tragic history and lots of alcoholism.

Despite my reservations about the plot I liked this best of this author's books.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Day is Dark.

June 6, 2016 – Started Reading