Devann's Reviews > Indexing

Indexing by Seanan McGuire

bookshelves: 4-0-star, sg-retellings, g-fantasy-urban, c-dl, a-adult, sg-lgbtia
Read 2 times. Last read February 11, 2019.

This was my second time reading this book and I decided to try out the audio this time. Despite still loving the story in general, I would definitely recommend reading it instead of listening. I did not care for the narrator's voice at all and I felt like she made a lot of the female characters sound very whiny or air-headed a lot of the time [not to mention that her male character voice was just ridiculous]. Sloane's voice in particular was just baffling to me because her persona is basically 'badass goth chick' and the narrator most often gave her this ridiculous Valley Girl inflection. It was absolutely maddening to me personally because Sloane is my favorite character and every time she had dialogue I was just audibly groaning.

But a bad narrator does not make a bad book, and I do really love this book. It's definitely a very original concept and I like how Seanan manages to both lean into all the fairy tale tropes and turn them completely on their heads. Also you can tell that this is really a subject that she enjoys because she uses so many variations of the stories and often links the archetypes in ways that the average consumer of fairy tales might not notice. I really love all the characters [when I'm not having to listen to awful narration at least] and think they play off each other very well. I would definitely recommend this book if you are looking to get a peek at Seanan's urban fantasy writing style but don't want to start with one of her longer series.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Indexing.

Started Reading