Alice's Reviews > J.R.R. Tolkien Audio CD Collection

J.R.R. Tolkien Audio CD Collection by J.R.R. Tolkien

Mar 03, 2008

Read in March, 2008

This audiobook is definitely not for the person who says, "I enjoyed the Lord of the Rings movie but I never read the books."
It is for this person:
1. You have read the Hobbit and the trilogy, including the appendices, at least 2 dozen times.
2. Two of those times were reading it out loud to family members.
3. You can recite "Elbereth Gilthoniel" in the elvish, as well as a half dozen other poems from the trilogy.
4. You have been fascinated by the news that Professor Tolkien used to appear as Beowulf to his classes, reciting the epic in Old English.

In other words, the audio collection was perfect for me. Too bad the set merely contains excerpts and miscellaneous poems, as recorded in a 1952 cassette tape recording. You can hear pages rustling and doors opening and shutting in the background, and the sound quality is not good.
However, these highlights were not to be missed:
1. The Riddle Scene from The Hobbit. Amazing dramatization of Gollum by the author!
2. The voice of Fangorn the Ent. Tolkien has a delightful accent with a Scottish "burr" to his rolled r's.
3. The Elvish poems. I've always wondered how the words were really pronounced. The Master knows!

The four disc set is concluded by readings by Tolkien's son Christopher from the Silmarillion.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read J.R.R. Tolkien Audio CD Collection.

message 1: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca 2 dozen times?! I am so happy for you that you and this audiobook have found each other! :) I wish I'd had a professor who dressed as Beowulf...