Ashleyjo's Reviews > Ember X

Ember X by Jessica Sorensen

it was ok

I promise that I'm not being dramatic or trying to be mean, but this is what I imagine would happen if an author were to trip on a shit ton of pharmaceutical substances while watching something like...

description

That said, I did keep reading. While the plot twists are glaringly obvious, there's still this WTF element to it that's hard to look away from.

What's What

The blurb doesn't really tell you what you're getting here.

Girl sees people's deaths through touch. It's a burden, a curse. She has one friend, who's a bitch. Enter two hot dudes different as *clears throat* day and night. While she favors one over the other and only has sex with one, this is still A TRIANGLE!!

What follows is 80% YA fluff - panty dropping swoon, dates, making out, parties. Some artsy shit & poetry is thrown in. And the whole thing is sprinkled with mofos dying every five minutes minutes.

It's overwritten.

Subject shifts are jarring, but I'll say the author at least gives that a purpose by the end.

The last 20% is the best part of the book. All is pretty much expected, but the pacing speeds up and provides some action at least.

However, it does feel like we've circled the globe here just for the FMC to figure out what she should've known all along and end up in pretty much the same spot she starts the book.

And, there are a shit ton of plot questions that should've been answered here but aren't.

Mild Cliffhanger ending.

description

Rewrite

This book was rewritten from a YA novel. Yes, it includes some graphic sexual scenes, language, and murder. BUT, aside from the subject matter, this STILL READS LIKE YA. The dialogue, actions, and setting all have a juvenile tone.

Bottom Line

Pacing is slow.

Lots of useless, fluffy info.

Not a fan of the author 's writing and storytelling style.

The frequency of the artsy, poetry prose became annoying.

I did like the premise and bones of the story.

The characters came across as YA high school kids, not 19 + year-olds.

The FMC's stupidity and disbelief over what she is and what the guys are is unbelievable.

Overall, 2 unimpressed stars:/

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Ember X.

July 4, 2016 – Shelved
July 5, 2016 – Started Reading
July 6, 2016 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)

Maria✦❋Steamy Reads Blog❋✦ Don't like YA anymore :/
This doesn't sound like something i'd enjoy.. Great honest review, darling!

Ashleyjo Thanks, Maria. I can deal w/YA in para sometimes, but I think what was most disappointing is that this author took time to offer this same story in both a YA & NA style, but basically all she did was add sex and murder to a YA TONE in the NA version:/

message 3: by Jessica's (new)

Jessica's Totally Over The Top Book Obsession Great review hun :) I hope your next read is better!

message 4: by Margaret (new)

Margaret That's totally disappointing, I really liked a lot of her previous work!!!!

Ashleyjo Thanks, Annie;) I tried "Unbeautiful, and it didn't work for me either. I've heard good things about the Coincidence series, but just not sure I'm willing to try more at this point:/

Ashleyjo Thanks, Jessica:) Me Too!!!!

Bgurl (don't h8 me cuz I'm honestful) "I promise that I'm not being dramatic or trying to be mean, but this is what I imagine would happen if an author were to trip on a shit ton of pharmaceutical substances while watching something like.."

LMFAO! Thanks for the disclaimer A! You should start all of your 1-2 star reviews like that. :D (As, those are the reviews I will read first).

Ashleyjo Lmao @B ... Most of them actually could:/

Bgurl (don't h8 me cuz I'm honestful) "Most of them actually could"

Thank gawd!

message 10: by Dena (new)

Dena Blackshear Send me more books. Scarier the better.