Caidyn (he/him/his)'s Reviews > Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix

Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix by J.K. Rowling

bookshelves: juvenile-fiction, fantasy, quarantine-reads
Read 8 times. Last read March 28, 2020 to March 30, 2020.

For this being the first Harry Potter book I read on my own -- I vehemently denied my mother that right, so she was forced to buy two copies of the book, one for me and one for her, so she could speed read the book to know if anything was going to happen I may not understand -- it was my least favorite. It's a huge book. It's a proper tome. My original copy literally split in half under its own weight.

And, I brought up in my review of Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire that I just see this series as two distinct trilogies. So, this book is the first of the second trilogy. (If that makes any sense.) Like Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone did, it has to set the stage for the rest of the series. That tone, that feel. All what's going on and what is really driving it.

This book is hardly perfect. There are things that should have been edited out for conciseness, such as Hermione's S.P.E.W. venture or the relationship with Cho. It didn't add to the plot, just the characters, both of whom were very strong by this point in the series. And, then things could have been drawn together tighter so it made sense. The five stars I give this is purely on a loving level, and I think that there's infinite things to draw from in this series.

Again, I focused a lot on Dumbledore during my reading. It's such a shame that the more I see of him, the more disillusioned I become. However, I'm going to focus the bulk of my review on another character. A truly beloved one.

Whenever someone talks about this book, they point out certain things. Harry's angst or Umbridge in general. Then, there's the obvious. Sirius's death. I remember growing up, talking with my nerdy friends about this. They would talk about how upset they were at his death, how they cried and wailed and blah blah blah. I sort of stared at them and then, wanting to fit in, made my own story up for a reaction.

I never cried. I never got upset. The most I was upset was feeling for Harry in that moment, not at all for Sirius. Just Harry.

Even when I was younger, I felt something was wrong with Sirius. I understood he was supposed to be a parental figure for Harry. I understood that we were supposed to find him a bit flawed, yet love him for it. But Sirius and I never clicked. It wasn't until years later that I finally knew why it was that I didn't like him. Not that he's a child. I get that, too; Azkaban stopped his mind from maturing, so he's stuck at a specific age. Not that he mistakes Harry for James. Another thing I get; he misses his friend desperately, all the fun they had, and he projects it onto Harry.

No, it was how he treated people.

JK Rowling wrote it best: "If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.” And... how does Sirius treat his inferiors? Take a good look at Kreacher. He treats that poor house elf like he's not even worth the dust on his feet. He treats him awfully, and why? What does he gain from it? Nothing. When he's with his "equals", we all know how he's like. Amiable, hilarious, sweet, loving.

Another example. Look at how he treats Snape. For years, he perceived Snape as an inferior to his. Unlike James, he didn't really move on from his boyhood hatred -- and I will forever wish JK shows us how James moved on and wooed Lily, because I want to know. The two of them didn't, but Snape will be featured another time for me to vent my opinions over him.

Sirius is as bad as Snape is. And, I will always make my feelings known that I don't like Snape. At all. The only thing that keeps Sirius from really being Snape is that he likes Harry. He treats him well, so we're supposed to root for him over Snape. Literally, that's it. That's the only difference, really, in their character. Look at how Snape treats Neville and compare to Sirius and Kreacher.

And, that is why I will never be able to like Sirius Black. I can appreciate his character. I can feel happy that Harry actually had a proper parental figure, albeit a flawed one (as all parents really are). I can forever hope that he, wherever he goes after he dies, realizes what he did was wrong. However, I cannot like Sirius Black.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix.

Finished Reading (Other Paperback Edition)
October 13, 2012 – Shelved (Other Paperback Edition)
October 6, 2013 – Shelved (Kindle Edition)
October 6, 2013 – Shelved as: to-read (Kindle Edition)
November 30, 2013 – Started Reading (Kindle Edition)
December 8, 2013 –
20.0% (Kindle Edition)
December 13, 2013 –
59.0% (Kindle Edition)
December 14, 2013 – Finished Reading (Kindle Edition)
December 4, 2014 – Started Reading (Hardcover Edition)
December 4, 2014 – Shelved (Hardcover Edition)
February 7, 2015 –
page 274
35.77% (Hardcover Edition)
February 7, 2015 –
page 528
68.93% (Hardcover Edition)
February 8, 2015 – Finished Reading (Hardcover Edition)
February 11, 2015 – Shelved as: juvenile-fiction (Other Paperback Edition)
February 11, 2015 – Shelved as: juvenile-fiction (Kindle Edition)
February 11, 2015 – Shelved as: juvenile-fiction (Hardcover Edition)
March 28, 2015 – Shelved as: fantasy (Other Paperback Edition)
November 8, 2015 – Shelved as: fantasy (Kindle Edition)
November 8, 2015 – Shelved as: fantasy (Hardcover Edition)
July 4, 2016 – Started Reading
July 4, 2016 – Shelved
July 4, 2016 – Shelved as: juvenile-fiction
July 4, 2016 – Shelved as: fantasy
page 1
0.11% "I have more than a small feeling that my unpopular opinions for a beloved character is going to come out while reading this."
page 14
1.61% ""This is night, Diddykins. that's what we call it when it goes all dark like this."\n \n Never forget."
page 18
2.07% "For anyone who's not familiar, this is how PTSD shows in adolescents. Substance abuse, antisocial behavior, withdrawal, depression, suicidal thoughts, guilt, and (from my own observations) risk taking behaviors. The latter can also make PTSD worse because they put themselves at risk to see more trauma. How many symptoms does Harry have?"
page 36
4.14% "Diagnostic criteria for PTSD. Re-experiencing trauma, avoidance of stimuli associated with the trauma, negative changes in cognitions and mood, and increased physiological arousal, reactivity, and vigilance.\n \n Harry definitely has PTSD."
page 48
5.52% "Lupin held out his hand and shook Harry's.\n \n I love Remus. I mean, I know that's a tiny quote, but he's treating Harry like an adult. Not as if he's some child, which Dumbledore does throughout this book."
page 68
7.82% ""Hello, Harry," said George, beaming at him. "We thought we heard your dulcet tones.""
page 89
10.23% ""He's not James, Sirius!"\n \n Reason one why I don't like Sirius."
page 116
13.33% "[...] also a heavy locket that none of them could open\n \n "
page 120
13.79% "This whole Dumbledore not seeing Harry thing is a "greater good" example. Harry's feelings < Voldemort finding out about them."
page 179
20.57% "I almost got to my chapter goal today."
page 200
22.99% "Green Day is the perfect artist to listen to with this book."
page 207
23.79% "And we must unite inside her\n Or we'll crumble from within.\n \n That would be a good tattoo."
page 219
25.17% "While Ron isn't my favorite character (reminds me too much of a friend I once had, with the jealousy thing) I absolutely admire his loyalty to his friends. That's the one way I can connect to him."
page 223
25.63% ""And it would be quite nice if you stopped jumping down Ron's and my throats, Harry, because if you haven't noticed, we're on your side."\n \n SAY IT AGAIN SO THE PEOPLE IN THE BACK CAN HEAR YOU, HERMIONE."
page 226
25.98% ""Kenneth Towler came out in boils, d'you remember?" said Fred reminiscently.\n \n "That's 'casue you put Bulbadox Powder in his pajamas," said George.\n \n I love them."
page 248
28.51% ""Have a biscuit, Potter."\n \n I remember the first time I read this, I was so confused about what a biscuit was. Why the hell would she had biscuits with her in her office? Does she like them or something? It was years later that I found out in Brit speak, biscuits equal cookies."
page 254
29.2% ""No," [Hermione] said, her voice quivering with anger, "but I will write to your mother."\n \n "You wouldn't," said George, horrified, taking a step back from her.\n \n Hermione knows where to strike."
page 260
29.89% "Luna took a great breath and then said, without so much as a preliminary hello: "I believe He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named is back, and I believe you fought him and escaped from him."\n \n Luna <3"
page 353
40.57% "On the whole girls more trustworthy than boys, I think that Hogwarts should change so 1) girls can't go into the boy's dorm because that really is a stupid rule, and 2) that there should be a dorm for gender nonconforming folk. Trans, genderfluid, non-binary, agender, etc people."
page 468
53.79% "While Dumbledore and I don't get on very well, I can 100% admire how much he just trusts Harry."
page 480
55.17% ""I'm sure [Dumbledore] would have told you if it was anything to worry about," said Sirius steadily.\n \n No. Dumbledore only would have told Harry if it suited his end game."
page 516
59.31% "I have an hour and thirty minute lecture to listen to, then I'm going to come back and finish this."
page 518
59.54% ""Occlumency" is the best way to prove the point I'm going to bring up in my review about Sirius."
page 523
60.11% "Whatever you do, don't picture Sirius hopefully looking into his part of the mirror to see if Harry's finally using it."
page 536
61.61% ""Fools who wear their hearts proudly on their sleeves, who cannot control their emotions, who wallow in sad memories and allow themselves to be provoked this easily -- weak people, in other words -- they stand no chance against [Voldemort's] powers!"\n \n Snape... you just described yourself."
page 553
63.56% "[...] but in nobody was this improvement more pronounced than in Neville. The news of his parents' attacker's escape had wrought a strange and even slightly alarming change in him.\n \n <3"
page 555
63.79% ""And if we can't trust Dumbledore, we can't trust anyone."\n \n YOU SHOULDN'T TRUST HIM IN THE FIRST PLACE."
page 555
63.79% ""[Ginny's] been breaking into your broom shed in the garden since the age of six and taking each of your brooms out in turn when you weren't looking," said Hermione from behind her tottering pile of Ancient Runes books.\n \n "Oh," said George, looking mildly impressed. "Well -- that'd explain it."\n \n I love the relationship Fred, George, and Ginny have."
page 590
67.82% "One thing I guess I can give to Snape for props is that he didn't use what he saw in Harry's mind against him. I'm very grudgingly giving it to him."
page 616
70.8% ""Well, usually when a person shakes their head," said McGonagall coldly, "they mean 'no.' So unless Miss Edgecombe is using a form of sign language as yet unknown to humans --"\n \n McGonagall and Harry have the best sass."
page 624
71.72% ""
page 628
72.18% "The only difference between Fred and George and the Marauders is that F&G have never been shown to be extraordinarily cruel to others, like the Marauders were."
page 646
74.25% "Snape reminds me so much of Neville in this scene. Except, Snape becomes his tormentors."
page 647
74.37% "And, although Lupin is one of my favorite characters, I think it's wrong that he let his friends do that to Snape. I mean, I get why he did -- was afraid he may lose them -- but he was in the wrong. And, he recognizes it, quite unlike Sirius."
page 648
74.48% "Another one, I know. I also don't think that Lily was in the right with calling Snape "Snivellus". It's called stooping to his level, which you shouldn't do."
page 655
75.29% "Okay, JK is already laying real groundwork for Hinny. I can see it now. How Harry can talk to her, more than he can with Ron or Hermione."
page 670
77.01% "This whole scene, I'm picturing that Sirius and Lupin were having a romantic talk with tea, and Harry just sticks his head in the fireplace to talk with them, interrupting their moment alone."
page 680
78.16% ""But this is excellent!" said Ron, looking thrilled. "It's all your fault, Harry -- Mum can't blame me at all! Can I tell her?"\n \n This is something me and my dad do. When we realize that we're going to get blamed, then realize that the other is at fault, we typically jump on it."
page 749
86.09% "Fuck yeah, Hermione. Just... fuck yeah. You would have been a great actress, and I wish all of this was in the movie, because it's so brilliant."
page 770
88.51% "Every time I read little things of Harry and Hermione, I think it should have been Harmione, not Romione and Hinny."
page 789
90.69% "Right as I'm finishing this, we're getting a hellacious storm here. Literally it's unexpected. Rain wasn't even forcasted. It's complete with hail."
page 807
92.76% "I think some of the best acting out of all the HP movies is when Sirius dies. Daniel Radcliffe was, in a word, sublime."
page 820
94.25% ""The Lost Prophecy" is my favorite chapter out of this whole book. It really is."
page 857
98.51% "Remember the thing I said not to think about earlier? Well, I'm thinking about it while Harry's thinking about it and goodbye friends"
page 863
99.2% "I think that part of the reason why Luna acts the way she does is the trauma she experienced with seeing her mother die."
page 870
100.0% "A parting note before my review: I really like how the beginning of the book began with Harry feeling starkly alone and by the end he realizes that he never was truly alone. The people who mattered were always there for him."
July 9, 2016 – Finished Reading
July 27, 2018 – Started Reading (Hardcover Edition)
July 27, 2018 –
4.0% "I'm reading on my phone right now, so I don't know the page number. But, I will always wonder what Dudley heard. I like to think it was the abuse Harry suffered growing up, because that would mark a kid and make them fear the perpetrator even if they weren't the target. What do you think?" (Hardcover Edition)
August 7, 2018 –
page 212
27.68% "Unpopular opinion: I think Sirius and Snape are different sides to the same coin. And I don't like either of them much." (Hardcover Edition)
September 1, 2018 –
page 274
35.77% "I get that Sirius never really got to grieve James's death, but I hate how he's trying to get the friend he lost back." (Hardcover Edition)
September 9, 2018 –
page 390
50.91% "Poor Mr. Weasley. I'm on the chapter where shit hits the fan for him." (Hardcover Edition)
September 12, 2018 –
60.0% "Harry when Snape tells him to empty himself of emotion:

"
(Hardcover Edition)
September 16, 2018 –
page 550
71.8% "I'm pretty sure that tonight I'm going to read the rest of this because I'm to the point where if I stop, I'll regret it." (Hardcover Edition)
September 16, 2018 –
72.0% "Harry has a weak spot for Pensieves." (Hardcover Edition)
September 19, 2018 –
81.0% "Chills from the damn attack on Hagrid and McGonagall. I never don't get chills from it." (Hardcover Edition)
September 19, 2018 –
88.0% "I might be making a dumb decision by reading Beyond the Veil at work." (Hardcover Edition)
September 19, 2018 –
89.0% "Okay but the guy who gets his head turned into a baby's? Am I the only one who thinks of this gif??

"
(Hardcover Edition)
September 19, 2018 –
91.0% "The way Bellatrix prostrates herself in front of Voldy reminds me how my dog, Ava, acts when she's in trouble." (Hardcover Edition)
September 19, 2018 –
92.0% "With all my heart, I wish that they had kept Harry destroying Dumbledore's office in the movie. It's such a great scene." (Hardcover Edition)
September 19, 2018 –
95.0% "I feel like JKR made a very simplistic definition for "live" with the prophecy. Because, what is living? Is it breathing and functioning? Is it a heart beating? Is it enjoying your life? Is it loving completely and without abandon? Because, Harry doesn't truly live until Voldemort's gone again. Or, live how I interpret a good life to be." (Hardcover Edition)
September 20, 2018 –
page 766
100.0% "And, finished this last night! Going to start HBP next month!" (Hardcover Edition)
September 20, 2018 – Finished Reading (Hardcover Edition)
March 24, 2019 – Started Reading
March 26, 2019 – Finished Reading
August 3, 2019 – Started Reading
August 4, 2019 – Finished Reading
March 28, 2020 – Started Reading
March 30, 2020 – Finished Reading
March 31, 2020 – Shelved as: quarantine-reads

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)

Caidyn (he/him/his) Thank you, Dale! When Harry Potter comes up, I, invariably, have a lot of opinions.

Sirius is one of those characters I'm really conflicted about. I want to like him, but I can't. He has redeeming qualities, but not enough for my likes. And, I would love someone to come and convince me about him, that he's the greatest guy ever and all that.

Caidyn (he/him/his) And, some of Sirius's actions, I can chalk up to that he is literally stuck, mentally, as a young man. Not only that trauma can make you regress, but his mind likely stopped changing so he's stuck forever in his early 20s. Then, there's the fact that his only good memories are of James and him doing things to Snape. So, of course he wants to get that back.

I think he's just an arrogant man who never was able to grow up. He has redeeming qualities -- loyal, loving to those he cares for, sometimes funny -- it's just that I think his bad qualities outweigh the good, making him a character I can't see as a parental figure for Harry. It's as if his 15 year old dad was raising him, who was vastly different than the man he grew into.

Mary S. R. I like how you see it as two trilogies! I need to keep that in mind when I reread these later :)
And I still don't know why I don't like Sirius 😂 I'm in your previous stage and need to think about it more.

Caidyn (he/him/his) GoF is a bridge, really. Somewhere between middle-grade and YA.

But, I've made up my mind about him. I hope you're able to accept it and figure out exactly why. He's just too much like Snape and I hate Snape.

Mary S. R. Well said!

And haha I love Snape though 😂 (at the same time I hate him, sure, but I also love him. Conflicted feelings). I think there's just this beautiful tragedy to Snape's character that makes me also feel for him. I just can't help but love the mistreated lonely ones. However many terrible things they do later. That's just me, I connect to them in a deep level. But Sirius doesn't have that special spark to save him for me soooooo, yes, I need to think about it more. Thanks :)