Daniel's Reviews > The Society of the Spectacle

The Society of the Spectacle by Guy Debord

it was ok
bookshelves: nonfiction, philosophy

I read this due to an interest in learning more about the history of the May 1968 demonstrations in France, the history of art, and the Situationalists. The problem is that this is a primary source for those events, it is the philosophy and theory of Situationalism (though Debord didn't care for that term). I find the ideas fascinating, but like many works of philosophy it is written densely, and at times incomprehensibly as little to nothing is defined or adequately explained. Critics have stated that it is at best 'simple ideas expressed in deliberately complex, confusing ways'. I would partially concur with that. At the same time, however, the language and theory is largely built from Marx and Hegel, neither of whom I have much exposure to, which complicated it. But for an author whose purpose was not just to make theory, but to actually overturn 'the spectacle', perhaps he should have made his ideas more comprehensible for the lay person.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Society of the Spectacle.

May 16, 2011 – Shelved