Joshua C's Reviews > A Game of Thrones

A Game of Thrones by George R.R. Martin

U 50x66

** spoiler alert ** Wow, I haven't read any new books in quite a while but this one pretty much blew me out of the water. The scope of the book is immense and the character base is expanding. The author has a nice touch when it comes to the little details of the world and the complex characters and motives makes the book rather gritty then most, and very realistic for a fantasy book. It also cuts out many cliches in the genre. The main characters include a smart dwarf, a honorable bastard, a strong willed lady and a loyal lord framed as a traitor to name a few. The concepts the book touches on are quite controversial and the way the author has created a world where every character makes good and bad choices has really opened my eyes. I loved it, possibly one of my favourite books of all time! Cannot wait to read the rest of the series. "Winter is Coming"
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Game of Thrones.

Quotes Joshua Liked

George R.R. Martin
“... a mind needs books as a sword needs a whetstone, if it is to keep its edge.”

George R.R. Martin
“Never forget what you are, for surely the world will not. Make it your strength. Then it can never be your weakness. Armour yourself in it, and it will never be used to hurt you.”

“Winter is coming.”

George R.R. Martin
“When you play a game of thrones you win or you die.”

George R.R. Martin
“What do we say to the Lord of Death?'

'Not today.”

George R.R. Martin
“A bruise is a lesson... and each lesson makes us better.”

July 4, 2016 – Shelved