E.A.'s Reviews > A Natural History of Hell

A Natural History of Hell by Jeffrey Ford

20325359

bookshelves: contemporary-fantasy, faerie, fantasy, horror-monsters-ghosts, short-story, sci-fi, magic, pulp

I can’t believe I let A Natural History of Hell sit on my shelf for two and a half years before I read it! I’d enjoyed a story or two by Ford, but I can’t recall what made me want to buy this collection. It was probably a blurb describing the stories in a way that piqued my interest, followed by a review gushing about how good Ford is. That usually does it. I’ve purchased many a short-story collection this way.

I loved it. His stories have such interesting premises delivered on by great characters.

My journey through the book was a little trippy. There was a story I’d read years ago in an anthology that I had no memory of reading, and I thought it was great. I don’t know how it got so completely erased from my brain, but I’m okay with a little bit of weirdness to keep my life interesting. When I closed the book, I felt that I-need-to-read-more-by-this-person feeling. Lucky me, Ford has quite the body of work for me to add to my tbr bookcase. I hope I don’t take two and a half years next time.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Natural History of Hell.

July 4, 2016 – Shelved