Robert Owens's Reviews > Fahrenheit 451

Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury

bookshelves: fiction, science-fiction, classic, kindle

As I mulled over the movie selections for a badge at QuestScouts, I saw Fahrenheit 451 as an option. This is one of those classic stories I have had floating in my head for decades. I figured I should read the book prior to seeing the movie. In looking for the boo, I found it available for free downloads. I am not certain it is in the public domain or not.

I was slightly confused in the beginning, but once I got going, the book was rather good.

Books were written differently in the 1950s. I longed to read how the girl disappeared. Details for things like that would have been welcomed by this reader.

Of course, this book has a far deeper message. I loved the soliloquy at the end with the anology to the phoenix. The difference between man and the bird is that man knows exactly what has happened and knows all that has happened (provided we write in down in books) and will eventually refrain from making the same mistakes again. Awesome!

And how true the political realities expressed here are. It's as though it were written in 2016!

Well worth the read!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Fahrenheit 451.

July 1, 2016 – Started Reading