Nam Nguyen's Reviews > Frankenstein

Frankenstein by Mary Wollstonecraft Shelley

U 50x66

Like many readers, I was well familiar with the narrative before I first laid eyes on the novel.
I expected it to be scary - not that scary since I've never read horror before and the very concept of being terrified by a book? Yeah no.
Was it scary? I certainly felt chills down my spine. The protagonist, one Victor Frankenstein certainly has an appreciation for life. He's charming and charmed. Beloved and loving.
I highly recommend the read - more so if you're unfamiliar with the plot.
His disposition is heartfelt and his character comes to life in his interactions with his environment. He describes nature with a sense of wonder and then creates an abomination.
The literary style, romanticism is especially effective here, where it contrasts the beauty of nature to the raw optimism of science. Mrs. Shelley explains this perfectly throughout her narration of the human condition - the primary theme of Frankenstein.
If you are interested in a little (a whole narrative) discourse about romanticism, or perhaps like me - your first dive into horror fiction, I think you will greatly enjoy the read.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Frankenstein.

July 3, 2016 – Started Reading