Ryan's Reviews > Illuminae

Illuminae by Amie Kaufman

bookshelves: august-tbr, favourites, feels-trip, read-in-2016, that-cover-though, unfinished-series, november-tbr, audiobook, 4-star, hand-me-the-tissues, re-read
Recommended for: Basically everyone

Actual final rating: 4.5/5 stars

Buddy (re)read with my girls:
Jenn, Luna, Em (Kazzexual), Sana, and Mayflower

"AM I NOT MERCIFUL?"

This book was epic. Epic, I tell you!

description

I'm a huge sci-fi fan. As I've mentioned a hundred times over, that stuff is my shit. (Which is why I have filled this review with completely irrelevant Doctor Who gifs, and only Doctor Who gifs. You're welcome.)

description

I think you know the drill by now: I warn the reader of the sheer multitude of gifs and fangirling coming their way, state more than once that "this is not a review, but more of a mess of my thoughts", et cetera, et cetera.

Illuminae had everything I loved: brilliant storytelling, lovable characters, and a chilling, captivating plot.

"Nothing ceases to exist. Energy does not perish, it merely changes forms. The ones you love, the ones you lose, they still exist as long as the cosmos does."

The main reason I bought this book was because of how hyped it was on Booktube, and how fucking glorious the cover is. It's okay to judge a book by it's cover in this case. I was not disappointed.

description

The characters were absolutely hilarious. One second I was stressing over the fate of the Alexander and the next:

"Discarded message:
Also, my friend here is wondering about the survivors lists becauseASDLKDGFKNDFGJBE MORE SUBTLE KADY LIKE A BRICK WHY DON'T YOU?"

"McNulty, J, Sgt: and if that works
McNulty, J, Sgt: u must name ur first kid james in my honour
Mason, E, LT, 2nd: >_>
McNulty, J, Sgt: if it's a daugher u name it jamette
Mason, E, LT, 2nd: 0_o"

"It's obvious he's got no ****ing idea what he's about - I mean, 'is in-experienced in matters of computer espionage.' (Shut up, I'm being professional.)"

Funnily enough, the writing style I loathed in Firstlife, I adored in Illuminae. It fit much better with the formatting, and didn't seem unnecessarily forced.

There were plenty of fantastic characters but my favourite had to be AIDAN. Yeah. The sociopathic artificial intelligence is my favourite character, and I don't know what that says about me. His It's scenes and back-and-forth with Kady was brilliant.

AIDAN: "'DURING THE...INCIDENT... AFTERWARD, NONE OF THE MEAT HAD THE PRESCENE OF MIND TO RESTORE THE SYSTEMS DOWN THERE.'
Kady: 'The meat? The incident? That's what you're calling them?'
AIDAN: 'CALL THEM SOMETHING ELSE IF YOU WISH.'
Kady: 'People aren't just ****ing meat. And killing hundreds of them wasn't an incident. It was a massacre.'
AIDAN: 'IT WAS ALSO A NECESSITY.'
Kady: 'I've heard this song before.'
AIDAN: 'I WONDER, THEN, WHY YOU KEEP ASKING ME TO SING IT?'"

(view spoiler)

Now, you may be thinking, "Ryan, if you loved this book so much, why'd you give it 4 stars instead of 5?"

description

Here comes the not-so-fangirly part of the review: There was an extreme lack of world building, and I almost lost interest towards the middle. The universe Kaufman and Kristoff created was wonderful - I wanted to know more about it, but sadly, it was never elaborated on to the degree I wished. Criticism aside, I had so much fun reading this book, and I suggest need you read it, too.

Illuminae: Now run.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Illuminae.

Quotes Ryan Liked

Jay Kristoff
“Am I not merciful?”
Jay Kristoff, Illuminae

Amie Kaufman
“Perhaps bravery is simply the face humanity wraps around its collective madness.”
Amie Kaufman, Illuminae

July 2, 2016 – Shelved
July 2, 2016 – Shelved as: to-read
July 12, 2016 – Shelved as: august-tbr
August 1, 2016 – Started Reading
August 1, 2016 –
page 0
0.0% "*cracks knuckles* All right. Time to see what all the hype is about. \n (Can we talk about that cover, though? That hardcover edition is flawless.)"
August 4, 2016 –
page 50
8.35% "I'm supposed to get up early and be productive, but I'm perfectly content with abandoning all responsibilities and reading for three hours."
August 7, 2016 –
page 152
25.38% "Woah. Shit's getting dark. I like it."
August 9, 2016 –
page 308
51.33% "um UM UM description"
August 13, 2016 –
page 360
60.1% "I kind of forgot I was reading this...\n\n\n\ndescription"
August 19, 2016 –
page 470
78.46% "Why does AIDAN sound like JARVIS in my head, their "personalities" aren't even that similar."
August 20, 2016 – Shelved as: favourites
August 20, 2016 – Shelved as: feels-trip
August 20, 2016 – Shelved as: read-in-2016
August 20, 2016 – Finished Reading
August 23, 2016 – Shelved as: that-cover-though
October 29, 2016 – Shelved as: unfinished-series
November 6, 2016 –
page 0
0.0% "I was talking with a friend about this audiobook, and I got so hyped up for it, I had to get it immediately. So here I am now. I regret nothing."
November 9, 2016 – Shelved as: november-tbr
November 9, 2016 – Shelved as: audiobook
November 9, 2016 –
page 38
6.34% "Guys, this audiobook is fantastic, holy shit. It's like listening to a movie, or something, it's that good."
November 10, 2016 –
page 158
26.25% "Compared to what's to come, the first section of this book was all sunshine and rainbows..."
November 11, 2016 –
page 243
40.57% "It's hard to read this when I know the ending...*cries*"
November 12, 2016 –
page 264
44.07% "AIDAN's voice and performance in the audiobook is the definition of perfection."
page 417
69.62% "I want to keep reading, but I can barely keep my eyes open I'm so tired..."
page 472
78.8% "If I don't finish this today, I will be very disappointed with myself."
page 600
100.0% "This might have been, hands down, the best audiobook I have ever listened to."
November 23, 2016 – Shelved as: 4-star
February 16, 2017 – Shelved as: hand-me-the-tissues
February 16, 2017 – Shelved as: re-read

Comments Showing 1-50 of 103 (103 new)

alyssa Loved this one! Hope ya like it just as much! Enjoy, Ryan! :P

Ryan Alyssa ~BookWormCutie~ wrote: "Loved this one! Hope ya like it just as much! Enjoy, Ryan! :P"

I'm really liking it so far! Thanks, Alyssa :)

ℓуηη, ℓσкιѕℓутнєя¢ℓαω I still really need to read this one D:

A Bookish ✧ Fable YAY! I hope I can start reading it soon! It's on its way to my mailbox :)

Ryan Lynn wrote: "I still really need to read this one D:"

I can now say that reading it is totally worth it :)

Ryan Tea wrote: "YAY! I hope I can start reading it soon! It's on its way to my mailbox :)"

Awesome! I hope you enjoy it :D

Anastasiya YASSS. Absolutely agree with your review!

Ryan Anastasia wrote: "YASSS. Absolutely agree with your review!"

Thank you! <3

message 9: by Erin (new)

Erin Clemence Great review, Ryan! Thanks for the Dr Who gif's. They add that little bit of fun. :)

message 10: by [deleted user] (new)

ggrrrr, cant see the gifs on kindle. ggrrrr

Missanniev Kady and Ezra are lovely, but there's something about AIDAN and Kady... God, I need help lol

message 12: by Ryan (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ryan Erin wrote: "Great review, Ryan! Thanks for the Dr Who gif's. They add that little bit of fun. :)"

Thank you! And no problem, hehe

adrian (a slew of snicket) wrote: "ggrrrr, cant see the gifs on kindle. ggrrrr"

Ugh, that sucks :(

Missanniev wrote: "Kady and Ezra are lovely, but there's something about AIDAN and Kady... God, I need help lol"

I know! Me too...

message 13: by Sushi (new) - added it

Sushi LOL the cover really is glorious (and so is your review), might need to pick this up sometime.

message 14: by Ryan (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ryan Sushi wrote: "LOL the cover really is glorious (and so is your review), might need to pick this up sometime."

Aw, thank you. (And the cover really is stunning, innit?) You should definitely pick this up sometime :)

Reynita Maharani ★ The Night Reader ★ Great review!! I liked this book so much too and I also didn't give it 5 stars. But I can't wait to read Gemina!! There are new main characters in Gemina.

message 16: by Val (new) - rated it 5 stars

Val Hdz Great review, I just finished the book and its so good, I mean better than good. And one thing I love about that book is the cover, it's so creative

nicole viana Perfect! I never thought this could be put into words. I almost feel guilty for shipping lady and AIDAN as well

message 18: by Ryan (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ryan Reynita wrote: "Great review!! I liked this book so much too and I also didn't give it 5 stars. But I can't wait to read Gemina!! There are new main characters in Gemina."

Thank you! :) I can't wait for Gemina, either!

Val wrote: "Great review, I just finished the book and its so good, I mean better than good. And one thing I love about that book is the cover, it's so creative"

Thank you, Val :D I really wanted to give it 5 stars, but I did have two nit-picky things about it, so I went with 4, but I still really loved it. (The cover is very creative, that's a great way to describe it!)

nicole viana wrote: "Perfect! I never thought this could be put into words. I almost feel guilty for shipping lady and AIDAN as well"

Aw, thank you! I know, I feel a bit weird about shipping Kady and AIDAN, too, even if it is very low-key shipping.

message 19: by Ryan (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ryan Maddie ♥ ┼ wrote: "Excellent review ;-)"

Thank you! :D

nicole viana Ha! True a very low, heart breaking, shipping

message 21: by Ryan (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ryan nicole viana wrote: "Ha! True a very low, heart breaking, shipping"

Yep. I will go down with this ship.

nicole viana A very cheesy pun considering this book's plot

Katie I'm so glad that you liked this book! It's like one of my top favorites, and everyone is a gem.

message 24: by Ryan (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ryan nicole viana wrote: "A very cheesy pun considering this book's plot"

...I promise that pun was not intentional.

message 25: by Ryan (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ryan Katie wrote: "I'm so glad that you liked this book! It's like one of my top favorites, and everyone is a gem."

Very true, I love all of the characters <3 Glad you loved it, too!

Nastassja Ahaha, we need to find a hot male body for AIDAN and then I'll be all in for him and Kady. AIDAN is the best #crazyfangirl :D

Amazing review!

message 28: by Ryan (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ryan Nastassja wrote: "Ahaha, we need to find a hot male body for AIDAN and then I'll be all in for him and Kady. AIDAN is the best #crazyfangirl :D

Amazing review!"

I'm on board with this (get it? Like boarding a ship? I'm sorry, that was terrible.)
Thank you! :)

message 29: by Ryan (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ryan Maria wrote: "awesome review! :D"

Nastassja Ryan (The High-functioning Fangirl) wrote: "Nastassja wrote: "Ahaha, we need to find a hot male body for AIDAN and then I'll be all in for him and Kady. AIDAN is the best #crazyfangirl :D

Amazing review!"

I'm on board with this (get it? Li..."

Ahaha, I still got your meaning ;)

message 31: by Ryan (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ryan Nastassja wrote: "Ryan (The High-functioning Fangirl) wrote: "Nastassja wrote: "Ahaha, we need to find a hot male body for AIDAN and then I'll be all in for him and Kady. AIDAN is the best #crazyfangirl :D

Amazing ..."

Glad you could overlook my shitty puns XD

☽Luna☾ Great review xx

message 33: by Ryan (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ryan ☽Luna☾ wrote: "Great review xx"

The only thing is, every time I reply to a comment on this review, it gets bumped back to the top of my updates feed, and it probably looks like I'm bumping it for more likes >.< Curse you, new Goodreads format...

Kainat 《HUFFLEPUFF & PROUD》 What's wrong with getting more likes? You deserve them. AIDAN tho!! Shit "am I not merciful?". I love him/it so much.

message 35: by Ryan (last edited Nov 06, 2016 08:31PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ryan Kainat Ijaz wrote: "What's wrong with getting more likes? You deserve them. AIDAN tho!! Shit "am I not merciful?". I love him/it so much."

Aw, thanks, Kainat <3 I just don't want it to seem like I'm doing it for likes/approval. Does that make any sense?
I know! I love AIDAN so much. I'm listening to the audiobook right now, and I cannot wait to hear what he sounds like <3

Kainat 《HUFFLEPUFF & PROUD》 Nahhh, if i take my time and write a review, i want people to read it. I'm glad yours was up there, that's how i found it. Don't be silly. That's why we all created GR: to chit chat over books. I need more friends who are into this series. I'm going to look for new ones.

message 37: by Ryan (last edited Nov 06, 2016 09:03PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ryan Kainat Ijaz wrote: "Nahhh, if i take my time and write a review, i want people to read it. I'm glad yours was up there, that's how i found it. Don't be silly. That's why we all created GR: to chit chat over books. I n..."

That is true, I agree :) Thanks!
Yes, I need more friends to read this series, too!

♔ Dark Lordette Jennymort ♔ Damnit. I need this damn book.

message 39: by Ryan (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ryan Jenn *Sassy&Opinionated* wrote: "Damnit. I need this damn book."

Yes, you do! It's so. Fucking. Good.

Kainat 《HUFFLEPUFF & PROUD》 And Gemina is even better!! Like best-thing-ever good!

message 41: by Ryan (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ryan Kainat Ijaz wrote: "And Gemina is even better!! Like best-thing-ever good!"

I promise I'll get to it soon, fuck!

♔ Dark Lordette Jennymort ♔ I think I need a fucking library card. I'm going broke and I haven't even got paid yet!

message 43: by Ryan (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ryan Jenn *Sassy&Opinionated* wrote: "I think I need a fucking library card. I'm going broke and I haven't even got paid yet!"

A library card is a good idea, I use mine all the time. I don't have the money to fund my book buying obsession XD Just make sure you return everything on time. Fines are not fun. I feel like the librarians are all silently judging me when I return things late...

message 44: by Kainat (last edited Nov 06, 2016 09:19PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Kainat 《HUFFLEPUFF & PROUD》 I used to have one, but i would never return them on time, or lose them... there was always something. Now i just buy them online (you can find almost every book in hardcover under 10$ on Amazon) or my Kindle. It's worth it.

message 45: by Ryan (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ryan Kainat Ijaz wrote: "I used to have one, but i would never return them on time, or lose them... there was always something. Now i just buy them online (you can find almost every book in hardcover under 10$ on Amazon) o..."

I should get a Kindle again, it was quite useful. Though it will never compare to an actual, physical book, in my opinion.

Kainat 《HUFFLEPUFF & PROUD》 Kindle is mostly for my guilty pleasures, or contemporaries. They are easier to find, and for mush cheaper price. I never pay more than 5 dollars for an ebook. It's pretty convenient.

message 47: by Ryan (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ryan Kainat Ijaz wrote: "Kindle is mostly for my guilty pleasures, or contemporaries. They are easier to find, and for mush cheaper price. I never pay more than 5 dollars for an ebook. It's pretty convenient."

That does seem really convenient. I normally use the library for contemporaries/guilty pleasures, but I like the sound of an ebook. Might look into that soon. Thanks, Kainat :)

♔ Dark Lordette Jennymort ♔ Honestly, if you don't have a kindle, you can get the Amazon Kindle app too! It's super sneaky when you're trying to read at work. Lol

Garden of Eden Talk about ships 'ezra & Kady' or 'Aidan & Kady'. I was thinking hrmmmm.... Aidan has soft spot over Kady. Is it? Oops! Am I spilling anything? O_o

message 50: by Ryan (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ryan Jenn *Sassy&Opinionated* wrote: "Honestly, if you don't have a kindle, you can get the Amazon Kindle app too! It's super sneaky when you're trying to read at work. Lol"

Then it's perfect XD