Simon Howard's Reviews > Yoga for People Who Can't Be Bothered to Do It

Yoga for People Who Can't Be Bothered to Do It by Geoff Dyer

Geoff Dyer staggers through an autobiography of adventures, all of which "really happened, but some of the things only happened in my head". Essentially, Dyer has incredible experiences around the world but laces descriptions of them with profound bathos, either by pointing out their intrinsic absurdity or by drawing unflattering comparisons to humdrum daily life.

I very much enjoyed this, and found myself laughing out loud on more than one occasion. The careful balance between earnestness and knowing humour is very well judged and really tickled me. And every now and then, there are sparklingly brilliant passages:

"They kept talking about 'undergoing' surgery, 'undergoing' chemo. It really bugged me. I never saw it that way. I was just living my life. I wasn't 'undergoing' it."

"It's all about moderation. Everything in moderation. Even moderation itself. From this it follows that you must, from time to time, have excess. And this is going to be one of those occasions."

"Whichever way you looked at it, quite a few people had gone down with some kind of stomach upset. Marian, a gaunt-looking Dutch woman, said it was a means of 'purification'. I thought it sounded like dysentery."

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Yoga for People Who Can't Be Bothered to Do It.

July 2, 2016 – Shelved