Kayla's Reviews > Tales From The Scribe: A Collection

Tales From The Scribe by Tarran Jones

liked it

Tales from the Scribe consists of a collection of four short stories by Adelaide writer, Tarran Jones, and joined by a mystical theme. Each short story is broken into chapters, making it easy to read in small bursts, or as a whole. The e-book version which I read was beautifully typeset and visually appealing throughout.
The first story is Journey of Cerdiwen and centres around a Druid girl, Cerdiwen who time travels during a ceremony to change the course of history. The goddess, Epona, guides her hand, leading her through time to her mother (from whom she was stolen) in time to prevent a war.
The second, Life and Death, is perhaps the one I engaged with most. It follows Gillian, a woman who commits suicide, through her journey into the afterlife. It speculates about reincarnation, and the beginning and end of life being centred on blood and pain.
Third comes Dance of the Gods, following a noble woman who is found lost in the woods. She is rescued by a hunter from the village of Laore, who takes her home to heal. He is entranced with her beauty and while his mother worries about their involvement, she decides to help hide the woman, naming her Klia.
Finally, we come to Icons of Power. Of all these stories this is the most difficult to place, spanning several generations and following a magical adventure-quest format. While I admire Tarran for placing a story like this in Australia, I feel like it would be far better suited to a fantasy land.
This collection is a great example of Tarran Jones’ varied works. It was a pleasure to read, but unfortunately there were some issues with placement which pulled me up. This would be a great read for lovers of fantasy who are on-the-go or else looking for engrossing short stories with varied content.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Tales From The Scribe.

Finished Reading