Rebecca Rogers's Reviews > Scarlet

Scarlet by A.C. Gaughen

liked it
bookshelves: arc, for-review, historical, historical-romance, romance

I loved the idea of Will Scarlet actually being a girl. There was another twist later in the book, revealing Scarlet’s true identity (no spoilers here; you have to read and find out!), and I thought that was really cool, too.

Everyone’s heard the tale of Robin Hood—the rightful Prince of Nottingham, he always battles the sheriff, he steals from the rich and gives to the poor, etc. etc. The characters in this book definitely had their own personalities. Scarlet and Rob had this undeniable tension between each other, and they were both too stubborn to admit it. I kept pushing for them to be together the entire way.

Scarlet’s vocabulary threw me off at first; it wasn’t something I got used to easily.

John fell apart in the latter half of the book. I came so close to putting this down due to John’s inability to keep his hands to himself when Scarlet was around. But I was upset with Scar for leading him on, when she knew she had feelings for Rob. If the awkward John/Scar relationship had been removed, then I probably would’ve rated this higher.

Also, the action didn’t happen until the last quarter of the book. Up to that point, all that happened was stealing/giving back and making sure they had enough money to hand out to the locals before tax day.

Surprisingly, the villain isn’t really the sheriff; it’s a man from Scar’s past. I won’t say anymore without giving her backstory away.

Overall, if you enjoy retelling of Robin Hood, then I suggest you pick up this book.

**ARC courtesy of publisher via NetGalley

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Scarlet.

May 15, 2011 – Shelved
January 4, 2012 – Shelved as: arc
January 4, 2012 – Shelved as: for-review
January 4, 2012 – Shelved as: historical
January 4, 2012 – Shelved as: historical-romance
January 4, 2012 – Shelved as: romance
February 19, 2012 – Started Reading
February 19, 2012 –
17.0% "Unsure about Scar's unusual lingo; it's distracting. But I'm running with it because the story is addictive so far."
February 22, 2012 –