Regina's Reviews > Beauty Queens

Beauty Queens by Libba Bray

3922010
May 15, 2011

bookshelves: ya, wish-list, topics-to-discuss, pirates, lgbt, individuality, girl-power, funny, frenemies, audiobooks
Read from September 16 to 20, 2011

I've read a ton of duds lately...this was NOT one. Awesome.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Beauty Queens.

Quotes Regina Liked

Libba Bray
“Really, being a librarian is a much more dangerous job than you realize.”

Libba Bray
“My platform's called Don't Even Think About It. I go to schools and I say, 'Whatever bad thing it is you're thinking of doing, don't even think about it. 'Cause I can see into your soul, and I will hide in your closet and come for you in the night, and the last sound you ever hear will be my sharp teeth popping through the flesh of my gums, ready to eat you.' Their eyes get all big. It's awesome. I love little kids, man. They're the cutest”

Libba Bray
“Why do girls always feel like they have to apologize for giving an opinion or taking up space in the world? Have you ever noticed that?" Nicole asked. "You go on websites and some girl leaves a post and if it's longer than three sentences or she's expressing her thoughts about some topic, she usually ends with, 'Sorry for the rant' or 'That may be dumb, but that's what I think.”

Libba Bray
“Sometimes I just want to go in a room and break things and scream. Like, it’s so much pressure all the time and if you get upset or angry, people say, ‘Are you on the rag of something?’ And it’s like I want to say, ‘No. I’m just pissed off right now. Can’t I just be pissed off? How come that’s not okay for me?’ Like my dad will say, ‘I can’t talk to you when you’re hysterical.’ And I’m totally not being hysterical! I’m just mad. And he’s the one losing it. But then I feel embarrassed anyway. So I slap on that smile and pretend everything’s okay even though it’s not.”

Libba Bray
“I don’t care. If I like somebody, I like her, and that’s that.” He thumped his chest and made a scowly face. “Let ‘em come for me. I will stare down the mob with their pitchforks! I will make a speech about tolerance and love. I will tell them the folly of their ways! And then I will grab your hand and run like hell because, Jesus, a mob with pitchforks?”

09/18/2011 page 75
19.0% "The audiobook only proves Libba Bray's brilliance."
09/18/2011 page 90
23.0% "Shameless Sarah Palin dig on the audio. I wonder if it translates the same in print."
09/18/2011 page 90
23.0% "Wait, yes it does. LOL"
09/19/2011 page 155
40.0% "So...I take it you're just gonna give me ALL the hormones at the same time on this island? Oh, ok."
09/20/2011 page 240
62.0% "Every time I think this story is getting too cliche, and a bit mean-spirited...it hits home again."
show 3 hidden updates…